• Commercial/Vendors welcome

What kind of RV to buy?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
You’re not being a pain, these are great questions and considerations. It’s good to think it through and get experience from others.

since you’ve settled on diesel, the consideration between B, C, Super-C and A is really about size and amenities. When you think about size, there are two main things to consider, length and weight - height is also important but it’s pretty standard across the industry at 13’ 6” or less.

weight is more of a factor during travel. I am 23 tons so there are plenty of roads I can’t travel. Length is the main factor in terms of getting a campsite. The smaller you are lengthwise, the more places you can fit and the more campgrounds you can go to, opening up your options for spots. At 44’, I am almost as big as they come so with the weight, I face the most restrictions in terms of where I can go and how I get there.

the smaller you go however, the less amenities you have. Want a washer and dryer on board? Not easy to find when you’re under 30’ for example.

i really think you need to go someplace like MHSRV or National Indoor RV Center. Both of those places will have some of everything. Spend a day there and go through the various examples of each class. To borrow your analogy, few people buy a suit without first trying it on and seeing how they feel when they look at themselves in a mirror. So try on the Italian for an hour or two. Then try the English.
Thanks for the information, especially the vendors names.
If any of you guys have ideas, opinions or recommendations I am listening.
Again, thanks all.
jim

What kind of camping do you want to do? Do you expect your travels will take you mostly to luxury resort campgrounds? Do you want to boondocks in the wilderness and stare at the stars? A little of both? If the former, you would do just fine with a Class A. If the latter, consider a well equipped B or C, possibly even a super-C if you want the size and format of a C with the amenities of a luxury class A. If both. C and super-C are the sweet spot if you can keep it under 38’

Also make sure you drive a few to see what feels good to you.

What kind of camping do you want to do? Do you expect your travels will take you mostly to luxury resort campgrounds? Do you want to boondocks in the wilderness and stare at the stars? A little of both? If the former, you would do just fine with a Class A. If the latter, consider a well equipped B or C, possibly even a super-C if you want the size and format of a C with the amenities of a luxury class A. If both. C and super-C are the sweet spot if you can keep it under 38’
As crazy as it sounds, I am not sure. When I was younger I enjoyed bumbing around going where every I had the fancy, crappy car small tent and sleeping bag. Been doing the work thing full time for decades, never looking up to smell the roses, but have worked all over the world and that was fun/hard.

I am one that does not need fancy locations, but don't want to worry about security; that's the reason I don't live in Mexico and I have traveled all over that country years ago and had fun. Liked it so much I married one of the nationals, but she feels the same way about security. But having optionality of where I go is intriguing to me.

Are you guys members of TT or another camp park, I know TT was kind of pricy and it seemed it was necessary to get bookings. I did talk with TT sales a few months ago, just asking questions.
Thanks for your feedback and ideas,
jim

Also make sure you drive a few to see what feels good to you.
Thanks, that is important. As I narrow in my idea, perhaps they have rentals that are the same type I could use for some short trips, but I don't know if the dealers do that, its not Avis.

As crazy as it sounds, I am not sure. When I was younger I enjoyed bumbing around going where every I had the fancy, crappy car small tent and sleeping bag. Been doing the work thing full time for decades, never looking up to smell the roses, but have worked all over the world and that was fun/hard.

I am one that does not need fancy locations, but don't want to worry about security; that's the reason I don't live in Mexico and I have traveled all over that country years ago and had fun. Liked it so much I married one of the nationals, but she feels the same way about security. But having optionality of where I go is intriguing to me.

Are you guys members of TT or another camp park, I know TT was kind of pricy and it seemed it was necessary to get bookings. I did talk with TT sales a few months ago, just asking questions.
Thanks for your feedback and ideas,
jim
We have TT as a backup plan and ha stayed at a few parks. They’re often kind of run down to be honest but it’s such a large network it’s hard to no have it as an option. One way to get it cheaper is to buy a used membership from a place like Buy and Sell Campground Memberships | Campground Membership Outlet. Basically people who don’t want their memberships anymore resell them there and you can pick them up for literally thousands of dollars off. But beware, every contract is different and may not include all available parks. It depends on what the original owner bought into as you are basically buying their contract.

we spend most of our time in State Parks, Corps of Engineer Parks, and private campgrounds like KOA or Sun Resorts

Most RV parks are pretty safe places, even the ones that are seemingly falling apart. I feel safer in most RV parks than I did in my DC suburb

TT does not work for me. I am a Good Sam and KOA member. I use their camping discounts more frequently, although I do a lot of longer stays now, and get better discounts from the individual campgrounds. Good Sam gives a 0.05 / gal discount on gas at Pilot/Flying J truck stops.

Thanks, that is important. As I narrow in my idea, perhaps they have rentals that are the same type I could use for some short trips, but I don't know if the dealers do that, its not Avis.
Outdoorsy.com

I "think" 30' and under is acceptable at any campsite but not 100% on that...just from what I've read on other forums people have restrictions over 30'.
I think you should be able to find a decent class C under 30 foot?

First of all, I have never bought into the theory that by having a large (40' and longer) class A diesel pusher pulling a toad, you can't get into "most" campgrounds. For years we had a 43' DP pulling a long enclosed trailer and visited over 26 states. We certainly had to plan ahead but we never had issues staying in whatever area we wanted to visit. That included a State park and a county park in a couple different locations.

You have to first find out how much living space you would be comfortable staying in for extended periods of time. I normally don't suggest renting an RV because it is extremely expensive and you obviously don't get many choices on floor plans, however in the OPs case it might be a good idea to rent a class C for about 2 weeks just to see if they could survive in less than 300 square feet.

Latest resources

Back