Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Was just going through our inventory of on-the-road safety stuff and got to wondering what other folks carry. Here's what we carry.

- Reflective safety vests in sizes to fit both with and without heavy coats (4 total)
- Full rain suit
- 3-cell Maglite flashlight (2)
- Petzl Tikka headlamp
- Folding reflective triangle kit
- Electronic road flare kit*
- Extra fire extinguishers (one in bedroom, one in kitchen, one in towed and one in pegboard bay)
- Cell phone
- Handheld amateur radio transceiver (only good if you are a FCC-licensed ham)
- Handheld CB transceiver

*We used to carry regular road flares, but have found the electronic versions to be safer and easier to use.

So, what other things are savvy "road warriors" carrying in their RVs?

TJ

Was just going through our inventory of on-the-road safety stuff and got to wondering what other folks carry. Here's what we carry.

- Reflective safety vests in sizes to fit both with and without heavy coats (4 total)
- Full rain suit
- 3-cell Maglite flashlight (2)
- Petzl Tikka headlamp
- Folding reflective triangle kit
- Electronic road flare kit*
- Extra fire extinguishers (one in bedroom, one in kitchen, one in towed and one in pegboard bay)
- Cell phone
- Handheld amateur radio transceiver (only good if you are a FCC-licensed ham)
- Handheld CB transceiver

*We used to carry regular road flares, but have found the electronic versions to be safer and easier to use.

So, what other things are savvy "road warriors" carrying in their RVs?

TJ
Pretty much have the same list except amateur radio transceiver and extra fire extinguisher in the pegboard bay (pretty much a useless bay for me). We have rechargeable flashlights being charged and tested nightly when we take the dog for a walk.
I know a lot of RVers that do not carry triangle and flare kit.

Same list but have not got around to adding a CB. I'll add a CB at some point. Somewhat redundant but carry a Zumspot MMDVM for DSTAR. Fun to chat on the local Reflector when traveling.

Need to add the safety vest, electronic flairs and some sort of radio. I have always figured radio wasn’t that important, can use toad and go get help. Also since doing our Alaska trip decided to add satellite radio, just haven’t gotten around to it. Thinking FMCA rally in Tucson might be a good place to look into these items.

Last edited:
Good catch on the First Aid Kit! We carry one too.

Didn't know if it was PC to mention the guys that ride with us; Smith and his buddy Wesson. Both are .40. We usually have a skeet O/U under the bed as I like to break clay targets once in a while.

I'll look into the Fire Gone and Nest thermostats smoke detectors.

TJ

Last edited:
My apologies, Nest Thermostats - should be Smoke Detectors! Sleep deprived. I'll edit accordingly.

Good catch on the First Aid Kit! We carry one too.

Didn't know if it was PC to mention the guys that ride with us; Smith and his buddy Wesson. Both are .40. We usually have a skeet O/U under the bed as I like to break clay targets once in a while.

I'll look into the Fire Gone and Nest thermostats.

TJ

Kimber's are my riding buddy...380...1911?

My apologies, Nest Thermostats - should be Smoke Detectors! Sleep deprived. I'll edit accordingly.
That would explain why I didn't find them when I looked on the Costco web site. Yes, extra smoke alarms are good. I need to add a couple to the basement.

TJ

I need to add those cones. They might keep someone from double parking and pinning you in while Wally docking or harvest hosting. We usually get up and going very early when we stopover like that though.

If you aren't in my contacts...I probably won't answer the phone...but a read all text messages :)

@Neal is not only in my contacts...he's on speed dial. I can Voice command call him hands free while driving that way :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back