What satellite tv system would you pick and why

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
 I
I have had DISH, at home and in the RV for 10 yrs or more. I can't complain.
I also have used dish for many years with a tailgater receiver. If you have home dish the portable system is only an extra 5 bucks. I don't have it permanently mounted to the rv because we often camp in forests and need to move it to pick up the signal between the trees. We seldom have cell service so live streaming is not possible without the expensive star link setup.

for $7 bucks we chose the direct tv, streaming can be very frustrating, we thought no sat at first, then after 6 months on the road, we had a dome installed

We have the "DISH" Wineguard 1000 (automatic) Open face satellite dish. Great reception, but the only drawback is location on your coach, & getting a clear satellite shot if "in the bushes"!:) And I basically press one button!
Have had "Dish On the Go", for four years, which allows suspending the subscription while not traveling, or using the coach.
I am an "old guy" with little/few tech skills, but I can fumble through the Dish setup. Still don't understand all the various "streaming" options, & payable subscriptions to this , that and the other. And don't have enough "HDMI" slots, to plug in all the "gizmos"!:p Plus I've got a hot-spot, not Starlink.

I would forgo the cost and just stream you RV. We have been doing this for 5 years in our motorhome and longer at our bricks and mortar.
Me too , unfortunately I have to choose one, they won’t delete

for $7 bucks we chose the direct tv, streaming can be very frustrating, we thought no sat at first, then after 6 months on the road, we had a dome installed
Put if you do not have an account, it’s a 2year commitment. When I did have DTV I added a box it would restart the commitment period

I would look at streaming only and forget any satellite dish hardware or subscriptions. You can use either a cell modem or starlink or both and the cost of multiple channels like YouTube tv or Hulu etc is much cheaper than satellite dish tv. If I was ordering new coach I’d forego it completely.
That is all we do and the new one StarLink is standard

Put if you do not have an account, it’s a 2year commitment. When I did have DTV I added a box it would restart the commitment period
We have a direct account at s & b, we often travel in desolate western regions, southern Utah, Nevada, AZ, NM, can't count on cell or wifi, sat always works, no trees out there

I’m in the process of ordering a new Entegra and mostly stream. I have the included option of one of the following Winegard traveler “Dish” Or “Direct Tv”or Winegard in motion Satellite Dome
Ideas/suggestions would be appreciated
Thank you
Congratulations on the new Entrega!
We travel full-time and have always had DirecTv. So when bought a new coach almost two years ago, we naturally included the winegard DirecTv dish. I used it for awhile, but then I started hearing more and more about Starlink. So a year ago, we got starlink and have used it while travelling for the last year. I cancelled DirecTv and love starlink. We stream thru YouTubeTv, which gets us just about everything.
Best of luck, and safe travels!

Ed

I've always heard starlink with setup and hardware is twice the cost of my sat system, I need info people!

Since you have to pick I’d pick dish. One major reason is you can suspend your account when not using it I am told. I don’t know if this 100% accurate but I know direct tv does not suspend. The other issue is geolocation. DTV does not like it when you move as they expect you to stay. My understanding is the geolocation parameters on dish are easily updatable. I haven’t done it myself so I am only passing on what I have read or heard.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back