Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What size gate are you comfortable driving your rig through?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

How small/large an opening are you comfortable driving through?

• Total voters
Interesting reading on toll booths

"Toll Lanes Design the lanes between the toll booths, the toll lanes, to a minimum width of 11 feet with a preferred width of 12 feet. Where toll lanes exceed 11 feet in width, provide raised pavement markers on both sides in order to emulate 11-feet lane widths. The markers are to discourage drivers from stopping their vehicles too far from the toll window while still allowing larger vehicles to use the lane. Toll lane widths of less than 11 feet will require a design deviation."

The FHWA recommendation indicate if less than 10% truck traffic, 10' lane is OK.

At 105” wide plus mirrors I play like I’m 11’ wide?

I voted 14' (that is the size I have at our house) - 12' would be ok if the height was below 6' and entry was straight, my mirrors are mounted to the side of our coach, making us close to 11' wide.

You guys in the motorhomes seem to keep forgetting those of us that pull trailers. Our mirrors are well under 6 feet in elevation, unless you want to be an exclusive club.

My "RV " garage has a 12' door. This leaves about 10" on either side of the mirrors when backing in. Also, I need to be almost perfectly straight to park in its' proper place.

I would recommend a 14' gate at a minimum! But I'm sure whatever you do, will be "First Class", just like the rest of your "RV HAVEN"!(y);)

As long as the gate is set back off the road far enough to get a straight shot at it, I think 12' is fine but 14' would be easier. This is wider than a lane on the Interstate and we'll only be idling through the gate slowly so it shouldn't be a problem.

Latest resources

Back