Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What size gate are you comfortable driving your rig through?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

How small/large an opening are you comfortable driving through?

• Total voters
Just a note: What I am comfortable driving through and what I can drive through may be two different things. I would be comfortable with 16, but would manage 14 without much sweat. 12 is cutting it close for me.
Right on the mark!

TJ

Interesting reading on toll booths

"Toll Lanes Design the lanes between the toll booths, the toll lanes, to a minimum width of 11 feet with a preferred width of 12 feet. Where toll lanes exceed 11 feet in width, provide raised pavement markers on both sides in order to emulate 11-feet lane widths. The markers are to discourage drivers from stopping their vehicles too far from the toll window while still allowing larger vehicles to use the lane. Toll lane widths of less than 11 feet will require a design deviation."

The FHWA recommendation indicate if less than 10% truck traffic, 10' lane is OK.

There have been a few toll booths that I’ve even thru I swear weren’t more than 10’ wide.
Yes, indeed...including the ones we had to go through with our step stuck in the out position!

TJ

Is a gate really even needed?
Absolutely ! This is a fairly large place, about 50 acres. You would be surprised at how many people drive up our road thinking this is a remote subdivision or maybe there are some lots for sale. Also, this is going to be a private park. We don't want anyone inside that doesn't have reservations.

DSCN1256.JPG

That gate seems plenty big to me already, though a little concerned about the road width unless that’s a one way street (in or out only - not both) as I could see a stand-off happening pretty easily

That gate seems plenty big to me already
That's the gate for the cars. No RV's will go through that gate. Just wanted you to see why we have a gate in the first place. There are "No Trespassing" signs around the property, but nobody ever pays any attention to them. Next thing you know, there are people driving all over the place.

Gotcha. Might wanna check Google Maps and see how it routes folks there. If you want to change the entrance location so that it always defaults to the RV entrance, there is a way to ask them to do that

That gate seems plenty big to me already, though a little concerned about the road width unless that’s a one way street (in or out only - not both) as I could see a stand-off happening pretty easily
No standoffs! We widened the road and all incoming traffic goes in on the paved road and the outgoing traffic goes out on the new road. There is plenty of room to unhook/hook up toads.

DSCN1892.JPG

The size of the car gate looks fine to me. Build the same stone entrance for the rv gate and install a sliding gate. If the stone is low enough mirrors will be a non issue.

Absolutely ! This is a fairly large place, about 50 acres. You would be surprised at how many people drive up our road thinking this is a remote subdivision or maybe there are some lots for sale. Also, this is going to be a private park. We don't want anyone inside that doesn't have reservations.

View attachment 5012
With the straight shot through, in either direction, that gate size would be plenty comfortable for us to drive our coach through.

TJ

Latest resources

Back