Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Jeep brands.

Wrangler, cherokee, and Gladiator.

Chevrolet /gmc - 4wd trucks and suv. Must have the neutral gear option. AWD is not compatible

While many think this answer is trite, "It depends..."

Will the tow be a dedicated tow vehicle? Do you want it to be a vacation/traveler vehicle? does a Truck fit your other needs? Do you want to buy a new vehicle?

If your answer to these questions is probably not, then there are many other choices.

Also consider "how much your RV can tow". 4WD vehicles with a transfer case are heavy, expensive vehicles.

A diesel pusher or a Super C can tow much more than most Tow vehicles so weight is not an issue. However, a front engine RV has limited tow capacity.

Since none of the more typical tow vehicles worked for our situation, we choose to use our existing sedan and a tow Dolly. Properly configured, this is a reasonable option. No mods to the tow car So if you lease a car, this is a good option.

Our Dolly and VW sedan weigh in at 3,880lbs. Below the hitch 5k lb. limit for my RV and below the 4k lb. preferred tow limit to maximize RV carrying capacity.

Side note, our Newmar is a Canyon Star with a GVWR is 26k lbs. and the GCWR is 30k lb. We run right at GCWR.

So the Best Tow vehicle depends on what works for your situation.

From personal exprience, Jeep Cherokee (2017) and Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup (2020).

Only downside to the Cherokee (other than not being a pickup) was that it required the optional Flat Town Harness (I believe that is no longer required on the newer ones) therefore needed power from the coach to keep the battery charged and was more complex to engage/disangage nuetral tow mode.

Safe Travels.

I have never flat towed, but there certainly are tons of folks that do so.

The two main reasons I never did was:
1. you give up your ability to back up.
2. you spend $3,000 to $4,000 to set up a specific vehicle so changing/trading is difficult/expensive.

On a recent trip in our fiver I pulled into a TA truck stop behind another RVer. The diesel lanes were very busy. After sitting behind this Class A RVer for an extended period of time it was apparent he was going to stay at the pumps for an extended period of time, I won't go into the reason why. Anyway, it I didn't have the ability to back up I would have sat there for up to 40 minutes or longer waiting. You have to be careful and plan ahead if flat towing. What if you pull into a dead end? There could be a number of situations where you need to back up and can't.

@FL-JOE , I have never towed with a dolly. I've flat towed for 15 years, and a few times I have had to disconnect to get out of a predicament.

To me, flat tow is superior, but you do bring up valid costs of this arrangement. Once you factor in the tow bar, brake system, lighting, and possibly new vehicle, the dolly is very much a strong contender.

Can you share some knowledge on the different dollys and or flat bed requirements?

I believe you flatbed, Since you mentioned backing up. That would certainly be compatible with all vehicles.

Any additional information you share can help others as they are planning this lifestyle. Not everyone wants to buy a new car just to get an rv.

@FL-JOE , I have never towed with a dolly. I've flat towed for 15 years, and a few times I have had to disconnect to get out of a predicament.

To me, flat tow is superior, but you do bring up valid costs of this arrangement. Once you factor in the tow bar, brake system, lighting, and possibly new vehicle, the dolly is very much a strong contender.

Can you share some knowledge on the different dollys and or flat bed requirements?

I believe you flatbed, Since you mentioned backing up. That would certainly be compatible with all vehicles.

Any additional information you share can help others as they are planning this lifestyle. Not everyone wants to buy a new car just to get an rv.
With our first Class A we used an open aluminum trailer. With our Newmar DP we used an enclosed trailer. We later switched to a tandem tow dolly so we could still haul the motorcycle and car together, but it was a constant worry because I gave up my ability to back up any distance.

There are many considerations to think about when comparing methods to tow. Except for one 37' Class A we have always had diesel. There are times when it is convenient to take a short lunch break right after fueling up. When I had the Newmar pulling the enclosed trailer I could back into parking spots with the commercial rigs and take a lunch break at major truck stops. Towing 4-down you would be hard pressed to always find a spot out of everyones way to take a break after fueling. Another advantage I enjoyed with the enclosed trailer was always having a "garage" to keep one or both of my vehicles in while in a campground.

Needless to say there are good things about towing 4-down and good things about pulling a trailer or tow dolly, just like there are negatives about both.

I like the idea of the car trailer...a stacker specifically. Would be nice to take the M3 with me to Montana....something to consider.

Latest resources

Back