Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question When to replace Chassis batteries?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The chassis batteries are not AGM, at least in most of the coaches. They are just standard “wet” batteries but don’t have fill caps. They can still be popped opened and the fluid checked.
Thanks for the clarification, I thought they were sealed.

I usually wait until my chassis batteries start showing visible signs of failing to start. If they fail, you can always use the battery rocker button on the arm rest that will use the house batteries to start the coach. Just hold it down for a few minutes and turn the key again. It'll probably start. Then go to Auto Zone or wherever and get a couple more. They sell them everywhere.

Anyone decided to replace the batteries before they failed? If so, when did you or if you're planning to replace them when is your timeline for doing so?
Spartan told me the chassis batteries should last 5-7 years, but I wanted them to check them to see how they are doing. They did a load test and felt they were in good condition. You might want to spend the $130 ( I don't know what they charge at FL) and have them load test the chassis before investing in new batteries.

Neal, even though your chassis batteries are “sealed” they can easily get low on electrolyte. I would pop off the seal and check. DSDon on the other side just had a post on the topic a few weeks ago.
Because of that thread, I asked Spartan to check if they were low and the techs advised against breaking the seal and checking. I had also been told Big Mike was telling participants in the Owners Class to do this and again the techs said no and were going to tell him to stop advising people to break seal. So instead I had them load test the batteries.

I could have spoken too soon?
On Sunday, on start up, I noticed on my dash a brief message LOW VOLTAGE! Did not see it the next 3 days. So I’m thinking that was the 3rd start that morning, and it may have brought the batteries a bit low? Will keep an eye on them more closely.

On Sunday, on start up, I noticed on my dash a brief message LOW VOLTAGE!
Common and nothing to worry about. It's the huge voltage spike causing this and just how the FL dash is programmed when they should have coded that out.

I could have spoken too soon?
On Sunday, on start up, I noticed on my dash a brief message LOW VOLTAGE! Did not see it the next 3 days. So I’m thinking that was the 3rd start that morning, and it may have brought the batteries a bit low? Will keep an eye on them more closely.
I get that all the time. Drives me nuts even though I know to ignore it.

Because of that thread, I asked Spartan to check if they were low and the techs advised against breaking the seal and checking. I had also been told Big Mike was telling participants in the Owners Class to do this and again the techs said no and were going to tell him to stop advising people to break seal. So instead I had them load test the batteries.
The electrolyte level in wet cell batteries does go down over time, even in the so called "sealed" wet cells. From the sealed batteries I have used over the years, "sealed" simply means harder to get into. No screw off or elevated filler caps, so the caps have to be pried off using a wide screwdriver, usually two caps, each covering three holes. I have never seen "a seal".

So we have one of two choices to make:

1.) Don't check the electrolyte and hope everything is ok. First couple of years should be fine depending on use and ambient temps. At some point however, the electrolyte most likely will get too low and then you have to replace the batteries. Once a year checks can prevent this.
2.) Check the electrolyte and rest assured that issue is not going to be the cause of bad chassis batteries.

Latest resources

Back