Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where to visit in NM (except Santa Fe and Albuquerque)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We’ll be leaving the mountains of Colorado Oct 1 as the campgrounds close behind us, but we’re not ready to return home yet (still too hot!).
We’ve booked a few days in Santa Fe (at hiked up prices due to the coming BF in Alb) and we want to avoid the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area during the balloon festival Oct 7-15. Any suggestions for place(s) to visit in NM that wouldn’t be too hot or remote (we’ve done a month of remote, and I’m tired of bad internet and poor grocery shopping 🤣. We’re keeping an eye on the hot, humid weather in our hometown and don’t plan to return until it eases up.

Maybe Bandelier National Monument. There is a RV park in White Rock near Bandelier, might even be shuttle to the park. White Rock is small but there is a Smiths grocery store. Los Alamos is 15 minutes up the road. Perfect fall weather this time of year.

Maybe Bandelier National Monument. There is a RV park in White Rock near Bandelier, might even be shuttle to the park. White Rock is small but there is a Smiths grocery store. Los Alamos is 15 minutes up the road. Perfect fall weather this time of year.
Bob has been mentioning Los Alamos, so I’ll look into that. Thanks for the tip -I hadn’t heard of Bandelier national Monument

Bandoliers very close to Santa Fe. We might visit there but we’re not going to make an overnight trip to it.
We gave up on New Mexico nothing was quite lining up for us. And heading back to Texas, keeping an eye on the hot weather. As soon as it cools, we’ll move south…… January? 🤪

New Mexico - I love Ruidoso. It's a great mountain town. They have a very active pickleball club too. If you are up for a wee drive, you can travel the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway and stop and see where he was supposed to hang, but escaped. Ohhhh, and be sure to check out No Scum Allowed. LOL. It's a great biker bar in the middle of no where. If you stop along the way you will discover how and where Smokey got his name.

Taos is always fun. High up on my list to see and do is Canyon de Chelly, Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, Chaco Canyon & Aztec Ruins. One day. Also, I want to check out the Very Large Array and White Sands National Park.

If you haven't done Carlsbad Caverns, it is AWESOME. Stay a couple of days. First day walk down and down. It's a must and then second day do a ranger tour so you go farther down. Truly worth it. The stories and when ranger turns lights off, you can't even see your hand in front of your face. Can you imagine discovering the caverns with a kerosene lamp. I'm sure there is more I missed, but I have to go pick up Miz Sophie.

Happy Travels.

New Mexico - I love Ruidoso. It's a great mountain town. They have a very active pickleball club too. If you are up for a wee drive, you can travel the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway and stop and see where he was supposed to hang, but escaped. Ohhhh, and be sure to check out No Scum Allowed. LOL. It's a great biker bar in the middle of no where. If you stop along the way you will discover how and where Smokey got his name.

Taos is always fun. High up on my list to see and do is Canyon de Chelly, Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, Chaco Canyon & Aztec Ruins. One day. Also, I want to check out the Very Large Array and White Sands National Park.

If you haven't done Carlsbad Caverns, it is AWESOME. Stay a couple of days. First day walk down and down. It's a must and then second day do a ranger tour so you go farther down. Truly worth it. The stories and when ranger turns lights off, you can't even see your hand in front of your face. Can you imagine discovering the caverns with a kerosene lamp. I'm sure there is more I missed, but I have to go pick up Miz Sophie.

Happy Travels.
wow, Lots of good ideas - I already made some reservations to head back to Texas, but I’ll check these things out - we could change. Yes, we’ve been to Carlsbad - several years ago, pre-motorhome days. ( I recall the roads to Carlsbad as being amazingly bad even in our new (at the time) car - can’t imagine doing it in a motorhome - maybe they’ve improved.

I recall the roads to Carlsbad as being amazingly bad even in our new (at the time) car - can’t imagine doing it in a motorhome - maybe they’ve improved.
OMGosh, the roads were horrendous when I went (It was several years ago though.) Brutal.

Latest resources

Back