• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where were you with your NEWMAR today?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
They are accident waiting to happen, oops think it’s happened to a few already. Concrete is only 10’ wide so kinda narrow when you are 8.5’ wide.

@Jim although I have been underneath and don’t see anything from preventing it to open I have not attempted (chicken). July 31st we go to Newmar for repairs so will be all fixed for visit to Deer Springs RV Park as they have strict rules on coach condition😀

@Jim although I have been underneath and don’t see anything from preventing it to open I have not attempted (chicken). July 31st we go to Newmar for repairs so will be all fixed for visit to Deer Springs RV Park as they have strict rules on coach condition😀
Not to worry Bill, I know the campground host. I'll put in a good word for you! ;)

DSCN9499.JPG

If you haven‘t driven Hwy 395 from Victorville Calif. (about 100 miles east of LA) straight north to Reno Nevada, you have missed one of natures craziest and magical areas. The route parallels the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range for about 450 miles. Depending on the time of year (we started late April) the first 60 miles or so will have beautiful high desert wildflowers lining the road. When you reach Lone pine you will be at the foot of Mt. Whitney the highest point in the continental US at 14,500ft high. Less than 90 miles due east of that point, in Death Valley, is Bad Water Basin the lowest point in the nation at 300 feet below sea level. Just outside Lone Pine are the Alabama Hills where more than 100 movies have been filmed beginning over 100 years ago. Many of the old time westerns were filmed here. It has some of the strangest rock formations you will ever see.

We stayed at Boulder Creek Rv in Lone Pine.
IMG_4718.jpeg
IMG_4735.jpeg
IMG_4742.jpeg
IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_4743.jpeg
IMG_2901.jpg
Note the street sign ”Mt Whitney Portal, Movie Drive”

If you haven‘t driven Hwy 395 from Victorville Calif. (about 100 miles east of LA) straight north to Reno Nevada, you have missed one of natures craziest and magical areas. The route parallels the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range for about 450 miles. Depending on the time of year (we started late April) the first 60 miles or so will have beautiful high desert wildflowers lining the road. When you reach Lone pine you will be at the foot of Mt. Whitney the highest point in the continental US at 14,500ft high. Less than 90 miles due east of that point, in Death Valley, is Bad Water Basin the lowest point in the nation at 300 feet below sea level. Just outside Lone Pine are the Alabama Hills where more than 100 movies have been filmed beginning over 100 years ago. Many of the old time westerns were filmed here. It has some of the strangest rock formations you will ever see.
Talk about a small world. In the late 50's and early 60's, I lived in China Lake, Calif. Went to a small school called Vee Wig. (I think that's how it was spelled) Lived with my grandparents and my grandfather worked civil service at the Naval Ordinance Test Station. Actually got to see President Kennedy when he came to inspect the latest weaponry.

We moved from there to Deep Springs, which is a small Liberal Arts Collage in the middle of nowhere, about 25 miles from Big Pine. For a while, I was tutored by one of the professors until that professor got a job teaching in Big Pine, at which time I caught a ride every day to go to school in Big Pine.

Later, we moved to Lone Pine, (see red circle in pic below), where I went to school until my Junior year of High School. I lived off Whitney Portal Road, a couple of miles out of town and about 1/2 mile past the aqueduct that sends water to the LA basin.

As a young man, I've camped, hunted and fished all over that area. I know the Alabama Hills like the back of my hand and been to the top of Mt. Whitney with the Boy Scouts.

I've always planned on taking a trip back out to see how much things have changed. Maybe I'll get a chance when I finally give up on all my other projects.

But yeah, small world. :)

lone pine.png

Man, you really grew up in nowhere ville. You are “da man” @Jim !

Colville walker KOA about 30 miles north of Mono Lake on 395. Beautiful spot!

Attachments

• IMG_4753.jpeg
    IMG_4753.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4756.jpeg
    IMG_4756.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 26
I spent a week TDY at Ridgecrest/China lake maybe 10 years ago - not a lot happening there unless you're there testing stuff like I was. I remember they shut down a portion of the test range which forced us to detour 100+ miles out the back way through Darwin to get back to town. Darwin is a strange town, really surprised anyone lives there - search Youtube to see it.

Coachland Rv, Truckee Ca. The Sierra Nevada mountains are ready to be done with snow for the year….about time!
IMG_4781.jpeg

Yaye snow!!!

Latest resources

Back