• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where were you with your NEWMAR today?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Made it to Talona Ridge RV Resort in East Ellijay, Georgia. I've never explored this area of the country and it is beautiful. Tons of hiking and biking trails, white water rafting, paddleboarding, kayaking, live entertainment, wineries, breweries, cute downtowns.

Setting up the Starlink for the first time so will get back to y'all on the comparisons. So far AT&T is better than Verizon.

If you've never been to this area it is a must, but be sure to get good directions. I've suggested to the resort and an owner who is going to pass the info to their IT guy to put big rig friendly directions on their website. It was an adventure getting here and not one i would like to repeat. 😂

0790E56D-B09F-45F8-B627-5D3FAB3C36A9.jpeg
5FE0CE2C-5B45-4B7C-AF13-21075DBAFB68.jpeg
F992D307-1CD2-4876-A13B-0E88AC3BBC9B.jpeg

Red Gate Horse Farm Rv Park also has 400 acres of property, horses, trail rides, trolley stops for Savannah. We like it and will return, others don’t. Still 90 degrees here tho.
CF3E7FB6-8CAE-4D6C-A2FC-3A0176E801ED.jpeg
86747976-4B48-4D35-83FD-C22BB670912F.jpeg

Made it to Talona Ridge RV Resort in East Ellijay, Georgia. I've never explored this area of the country and it is beautiful. Tons of hiking and biking trails, white water rafting, paddleboarding, kayaking, live entertainment, wineries, breweries, cute downtowns.

Setting up the Starlink for the first time so will get back to y'all on the comparisons. So far AT&T is better than Verizon.

If you've never been to this area it is a must, but be sure to get good directions. I've suggested to the resort and an owner who is going to pass the info to their IT guy to put big rig friendly directions on their website. It was an adventure getting here and not one i would like to repeat. 😂

View attachment 14361View attachment 14362View attachment 14363
I have stayed in Elijay (cabin) and it is a great place and has all you mention plus lots of history. But I could not figure out the best way to get there.

Big rig directions are a must, glad you got that rolling.

ATB

6E29D9FD-CEBD-41D9-BFFB-D071891A4E7B.jpeg
Yes , (Yes, the Newmar is in the pic) - Bob found his fav spot, with the best view and breeze, BEHIND the coach....Loved it so much that he put us on a list to reserve it next summer. Elkhorn RV Resort, Lake City, CO. We were in site #8. very good site.
Nice place, Exceptionally clean and well-managed by onsite owners...walking distance to town. Poor to non-existent camp wifi, but even my hotspot was just ok. VERY dusty because there are no paved roads in the immediate area - we'd not be able to tolerate any sites next to Bluff Street (most of the town is in paved). We're planning a maintenance visit to for the engine after the trip.
Our coach was facing south and although we were fine, we'd seriously consider a MagShade if we return.

Highlander RV PARK, Sept 4-14. This park is literally perched on the side of a mountain - camping spaces on at least 4 different levels. Amazingly, our site was actually quite level, it just sloped away some where the steps are. It felt quite private although we were surrounded by others, because they were all several feet above or below us.
Lovely place, but I can't recommend it. County Road 30, about a 2 mile drive to the park, used to be paved. The pavement was apparently removed a few years ago, leaving a VERY dusty road heavily traveled by trucks and OHVs. It's quite a dusty, bumpy 2-mile drive to the park.
Sites bordering that road (ours didn't) have a dust problem - one lady told me it made her and her husband sick - I believed her. Sap from fir trees is a consideration also. We loved the park, and the owners, but can't return unless the road is paved.
Lake City in general is a dusty, dusty town - about 90% is unpaved, and they welcome OHVs since Silverton banned them in 2021. Motorcycles are abundant also, and they pretty much ignore double yellow lines on the mountain roads.
it's a beautiful area, but NOT big rig friendly.
EED29591-E229-4764-9002-072B7721D2D1.jpeg

At Freightliner Gaffney service for a couple nights. We've set up camp as usual. 😁

20220915_124138.jpg

20220915_185730.jpg

Landed in Mountain Views Rv resort ...Creede, Colorado. We've not been here for several years and are stunned at how it has grown and expanded.
Although they treated us VERY badly several years ago, I'll be fair - they have a lovely place. I'm just very careful in dealing with them.
(it was probably Sept 2015 - same family owners... we had engine trouble in Colorado Springs and had to cut out most of our trip...we came here - the park was half full, late September. We decided to stay a few days - our mistake was telling them so. We should have just renewed daily. Our refrigerator went out, and we decided after one day of eating out, that we couldn't do that for several days, so we decided to cut our (extensive by now) losses and go home. The park charged us the full amount. That was unreasonable.)
Just be careful - The rules are reasonable to keep a high standard, except for how they treated us in 2015. We got him on the 'old' price to $60 a night (we used to pay $35), but this year it's $75 a night or $1800 a month

094DF62E-9630-43E5-AB0B-8382124FDAE0.jpeg
BCCE30D4-3A9B-4644-902F-1CD89905D86B.jpeg

It's a big business.
You can actually 'buy' lots here, sort of, and even build "RV chalets". It's beautifully done, but unfortunately the area is COLD and not RV-inhabitable most of the year. I think the park is only open May-September. Some of the chalets have kitchens, laundry, bathroom, bedroom, fireplace - they're stand-alone 1-bedroom homes, with parking and hookups for the owner's million-dollar RV.
To us, nearby Creede feels more alive and bustling than Lake City where we just came from and is mostly PAVED. VERY big rig friendly - plenty of million-dollar setups here.
The area is full of old west mining history, and has several museums, restaurants, etc. It's mid-September and already in the 30s at night - the park is half empty - summer residents are already clearing out.

Last edited:
Love the dog recliner - our CC is jealous.

Rafter J Bar Ranch RV park just south of Rapid City, SD. Beautiful park, spacious with good room between sites and sits on 160 acres with a mix of trees and meadows. Wi-Fi is very limited and having to rely on cellular data. ATT is two bars and some buffering watching football.

4A6986C2-103D-4423-A2FC-148BE9705BEC.jpeg

CF501D1F-A244-49BF-9A74-DCD391EDE183.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back