Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Which motorhome would you have diesel pusher or gas?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I live in the mountains so I like the torque of the diesel. And I especially like the engine brake when I'm going down the other side. :)

You've gotten some good information but you're the final decision maker. You most likely know already that the 2018 Honda CR-V is only towable on a dolly.

If you want to know from a diesel guy, I would choose the DIESEL. If Honda made a CRV (Compact Recreational Vehicle) diesel for America I would buy that too.
On the other hand, are you towing the CRV four down?

If you want to know from a diesel guy, I would choose the DIESEL. If Honda made a CRV (Compact Recreational Vehicle) diesel for America I would buy that too.

On the other hand, are you towing the CRV four down?
that's going to be the next question . that had been the plan but I have been told that the 2018 cr-v cannot be towed four down.

The last CRV that you can tow four down is the 2014. On other forums, I do not recall which forum, there is conversation of leaving the motor running to tow the 2015 and up, with all four wheels on the ground. Since you are in Texas, I assume you have front wheel drive. I was NEVER a fan of four-wheel drive CRV. Generally all wheel drive is an over sell by the dealer. You may be able to tow with a pain in the neck car dolly, front wheels up?

My thoughts.

Not sure what chassis they are using on gas coaches, but if still the F53, it is WAY sub par to diesel pusher chassis in terms of handling on the road. There are some improvements that can be made, but not much.

As mentioned above, life is much easier in the commercial truck lanes. When I was in a 33' gasser pulling a jeep, there were several times I wound up getting blocked in, even when trying to be careful, use outside lanes, etc.

The gas engine located between you and the passenger is LOUD, with four capital letters. We used to blare the music and mostly gave up on talking unless we wanted to scream at each other.

All that said, from a cost perspective, when I looked at models (originally looking at class Cs) that had both diesel and gas versions, at that time, it was typically about a 100k mile payback before fuel savings on the diesel offset the higher cost for the same model in a gas, so for the vast majority of people, the better fuel mileage will never pay off -- certainly not buying new, unless you plan to put a LOT of miles on it. You also have to look at the fact the service will be more on the diesel, so that difference will add up over that 100k miles as well.

Latest resources

Back