Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

AcadianaRanger

RVF Newbee
If I am traveling in my motorhome overnight, These are some of the reasons why I, personally, never park in the truck island and I let truckers use the showers first. I fully support the trucking industry as an RVer. I would park in dedicated RV spots or if there are no RV spots, I would park my motorhome across a few car parking spots the furthest away from the store (as a last resort, only one night and leaving early in morning with slides in, and with permission from management after fueling up my motorhome and buying food at the truck stop, and leaving no trace) to stay overnight in the car island. The truck or diesel island and the spots there go to the truckers.

1. Truckers are under a lot tighter and more stringent laws and regulations. They must log all driving hours and cannot legally drive more than a certain amount of hours per day. These hours must be reported to the DOT. Not to mention, their trucks have GPS monitoring that logs this information and reports it to their supervisor as well as to the DOT. If they exceed these hours, they could face hefty fines and even lose their job and their CDL. Driving a semi truck for around 11 hours a day straight and in all kinds of weather (blizzards, ice, rain, sleet, snow, etc) and road and terrain conditions is very strenuous (mentally, emotionally, and physically) and is extremely exhausting and very stressful and truck drivers are usually overworked. Trucking is definitely not for the faint of heart. Many truck drivers put in very long hours every single day to keep our economy going and they definitely need all the rest they can get. It is not much and very little to ask to not take up the few spots they have left to rest and sleep at the truck stop and to enjoy the little downtime they get.

2. RVs have an option to rent a campsite and have more parking options. Truck drivers do not have these options and need these spots to rest. Unlike an RV, truckers do not have onboard showers, toilets, and onboard kitchens. The truck stop showers are the only options they have. When I am RVing, I am on vacation. Truck drivers are working and many of them are burning the midnight oil, and are not on vacation. They need to get the freight delivered to its destination by a certain time so this is one reason why I always let truck drivers use the truck stop showers before me and always take a very short shower.

3. Everything we buy, including RV supplies and the parts needed to repair our RV, just like food and everything else, came off of a truck. If it was not for the truckers, our economy and RVing would not be possible. The truckers are the ones who keep our stores, restaurants, and even repair shops fully stocked and our gas and diesel pumps full. We definitely and truly appreciate the services they provide.

These are some reasons why I personally believe that it is very important to be considerate to the truck drivers and leave the truck island at the truck stop for the truckers. They also need a whole lot more room to maneuver as well too. Many go in and out at all hours so these spots are usually at a premium. Truck drivers only get paid per mile and not per hour and they do a lot more than just driving that they don’t get paid for such as loading and unloading and even doing maintenance and making repairs to their own truck. In the trucking industry, if the tires ain’t turning, you ain’t earning. Many do not go home until months later and see their families. To the truckers, along with those in the armed forces, first responders (fire, police, EMT and paramedics), and those who served our country, and our veterans, we thank you for your service.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting I not use the truck fueling lanes in my 44 ft motorhome towing a pickup? Those with fuel cards only get the discount if we use the truck lanes.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the drivers and I'm aware they are working and I'm not. I have had some wonderful conversations with truck drivers while we're both fueling. I believe they enjoy some personal conversation after driving alone for hours.

Latest resources

Back