• Commercial/Vendors welcome

WiFi at the campground!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Have you considered Starlink (Elon Musk's satellite system). It has just announced a plan for businesses that they call a "premium plan" which sounds like it might suit you. We have Starlink at our winter location and love it.
Starlink Business

How can $5 a day be a deal breaker when we are now paying $5/gal for diesel?? Sounds like a no brainer to me @Jim

Last edited:
Have you considered Starlink (Elon Musk's satellite system). It has just announced a plan for businesses that they call a "premium plan" which sounds like it might suit you. We have Starlink at our winter location and love it.
Starlink Business
Yes, I have.

I've been on the residential list for over a year, maybe more like 1 1/2 years. And for the business service, I've been on that list for a long time as well. The biggest problem I have with Starlink is there is no way to find out when the service is actually going to be available in my area.

When I first signed up for residential service, their website said sometime in the middle or end of 2021. Now when I check, the website says they are at saturation point in my area and they will notify me when there is availability.

Starlink Business says they will start shipping 2nd quarter of 2022, which could mean as early as next week or maybe never. There is virtually no way, not that I've found anyway, to find out "when" the service will really be available.

Somewhere along the line, a decision has to be made to either continue waiting for a service that has no verifiable installation date, or move forward with a solution that has an actual delivery date. And at the end of the day, there isn't much difference in price between Starlink at $500 a month, and Frontier at $600 a month.

One last thing, when considering the Starlink solution. At this time, and with respect to data caps, (which is a HUGE concern) Starlink advertises that there are "currently no data caps". But Starlink is a satellite solution, and all the current satellite solutions available today use data caps. There is nothing to indicate that Starlink won't also go that route when their system becomes congested. And if/when they do, the solution will becomes ineffective for our needs.

Data caps are actually one of the primary reasons that our current provider, ViaSat, isn't a good solution for us today. ViaSat (business) delivers 100mb down, which is more than enough bandwidth for the needs of a small RV park like mine. But with a 150 gigabyte data cap, the solution becomes ineffective as the first few visitors each month can consume it quickly, leaving the remainder of the guests with little or no service for the remainder of the month.

But with a 150 gigabyte data cap

I go thru that much in a couple of weeks, and that’s just recreational use.

You have a land line right ? 300 baud dial up modem should do just fine :)

@Jim, my concern that comes to mind this morning is...is your service provider offering any type of warranty/guarantee on the proposed speeds? Or is there an "up to" clause. I'm concerned you'll pay all this money for what you believe will be 50/50 and it ends up being 15/5 in reality. Something to ask.

@Jim, my concern that comes to mind this morning is...is your service provider offering any type of warranty/guarantee on the proposed speeds? Or is there an "up to" clause. I'm concerned you'll pay all this money for what you believe will be 50/50 and it ends up being 15/5 in reality. Something to ask.
No concerns there Neal, it's dedicated Internet access with scalable bandwidth. No "up to" clauses like we find in the satellite solutions.

Also worth noting, 50/50 is what I'm starting with as I don't want to spend more than I have to. But the service is scalable up to 2 gig. Of course, the cost may be prohibitive but it's available none-the-less. :)

You have a land line right ? 300 baud dial up modem should do just fine :)
Got one last week, still trying to figure out the round thingy on the front with the numbers on it. . . :)

Dial thingy? I think you're supposed to put your finger in it. (I'm not actually quite this old.)
phone2.jpg

Bad luck for me today.

Frontier sent out their representative to do a install survey and the first words out of her mouth was, "Do you want the good news, or the bad news?". She continued, "The good news is we can install the fiber, the bad news is the price went from $72K to $350K." :eek:

I asked how someone could make such an unbelievable mistake? I mean, we have contracts in place. She said that the fiber is full, and they have no room to add me to it. My next question was, "Then why have a sales person selling a service that doesn't exist? "

There was more to the conversation but clearly they are being run with a very high degree of incompetency.

So now we are back to square one.

Latest resources

Back