• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Will This Setup Work?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Adding to last post. It looks like the issue with shorter wheelbases is leverage causing the trailer to lift the front wheels of the TV. Wouldn’t a load distribution system help negate this?

Adding to last post. It looks like the issue with shorter wheelbases is leverage causing the trailer to lift the front wheels of the TV. Wouldn’t a load distribution system help negate this?
That's what I'm hoping. I talked to the dealer about getting the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. It's supposed to provide sway control and weight distribution.

I have a little experience towing a 6×12 enclosed trailer @ 5000lbs behind a 2005 Durango but it did have the HEMI. I didn't find the wheelbase to be an issue and I know your generation is likely better in almost every way. I also suspect it's lighter so could be wagged a bit more by the trailer. My biggest concern would be the engine, it certainly has the horsepower to get the job done but I have that same engine in my minivan and it starts making good torque around 8000rpm, you'll have it wound up pretty good almost all the time on the highway. I'm considering a pop-up to occasionally pull with the van and never into the mountains unless hooked to my truck. The pop-up weighs closer to 3100lbs and has a much smaller frontal area and I'm still worried about anything over 55mph due to the complete lack of low end torque.

That's what I'm hoping. I talked to the dealer about getting the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. It's supposed to provide sway control and weight distribution.
IF you are asking the question, I think you know the answer, you need a bigger TV with an 8 cylinder and larger brakes, IMO your flirting with disaster, our first TT was a 23' with no slides, a ford van with the small V8, I white knuckeld it every time a semi past us up, seriously you need power, torque, transmission and brakes to tow anything, as mentioned, traffic, wind, inclines, quick stopping in emergency, Safe travels for you and the family

IF you are asking the question, I think you know the answer, you need a bigger TV with an 8 cylinder and larger brakes, IMO your flirting with disaster, our first TT was a 23' with no slides, a ford van with the small V8, I white knuckeld it every time a semi past us up, seriously you need power, torque, transmission and brakes to tow anything, as mentioned, traffic, wind, inclines, quick stopping in emergency, Safe travels for you and the family

What year was your V8 van, and what was its tow capacity?

Thanks for the input. I'm essentially asking if I'm missing anything in my initial analysis. The durango has a tow capacity of 6,200 lbs and the trailer I'm asking about will have a weight of about 4,600 once loaded. I know there are other factors. I'm not sure what your van was rated for, but it sounds like you had a rough go. Thanks again for the input.

Out of curiosity, what do the slides have to do with it? Are you saying the trailer you had was lighter than the one in my example?

What year was your V8 van, and what was its tow capacity?
1999, E-150 4.6 V8 with tow capacity of 6600lbs, small incline out of Chamberlain SD, had to pull over and crawl up the "hill"
Out of curiosity, what do the slides have to do with it? Are you saying the trailer you had was lighter than the one in my example?
yes, slides add weight

That 1999 van would have weighed significantly more unless it was an empty cargo model, had ~5 fewer transmission gears, suspension designed during the Gerald Ford administration and at least 70 less horsepower. Apples to oranges.

Latest resources

Back