Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

preussj00

RVF Regular
Hello! I'm new to this forum and RVing in general. I'm currently looking to purchase a travel trailer, scheduled to pickup next Saturday. Since looking a couple weeks ago, I've been spending a lot of time focusing on the numbers to ensure I can safely tow.

Travel Trailer
Cherokee Wolf Pup 17JG
Dry Weight - 3,879 lbs
Dry Hitch Weight - 430 lbs
GVWR - 4,999 lbs
Payload Capacity - 1,120 lbs
Length - 23ft 4in

Tow Vehicle
2022 Dodge Durango GT Plus
Engine - 3.6L V6
Dry Weight - 5,060 lbs, recently weighed at CAT scale at 5,040 but made some adjustments for fuel and a couple other things I had in the vehicle at the time
GVWR - 6,500 lbs
Payload Capacity - 1,440 lbs (GVWR - Dry Weight)
Cargo Capacity per door placard - 1,200 lbs
Max Hitch Weight - 620 lbs
Max Tow Capacity - 6,200 lbs
GCWR - 11,600
Wheel Base - 119.8 inches

I'm feeling pretty good about the TV capability to tow this TT. I am purchasing a Sway Pro 750 Sway control/WDH. I am cognizant of the payload capacity of the TV. I'm aiming to put a max of 700 lbs of gear into the trailer, which will give a Hitch Weight of around 600 lbs. One of the things I'm most worried about at this point is the wheel base of the TV vs length of the TT. I'm also aware of the wind drag I'll be experiencing with this trailer vs a pop-up.

I live in the upper Midwest and don't have any plans at this point to be going into any mountainous areas with this setup.

Being new to the game here, is there anything I'm missing? Should I be re-considering a different trailer? Or am I OK thinking I'm within my limits and go have a good time?

Thanks!

How many pounds of people, pets and stuff do you think you’ll have in the TV?

How many pounds of people, pets and stuff do you think you’ll have in the TV?
Because of the payload capacity limitations, it'll just be myself, significant other, and two dogs. I don't intend to load any cargo into the TV. So we should end up being around 600 or so. I know the door placard says 1,200 lbs max so I'm trying to stay around there. However, I believe the true payload/cargo capacity would be the GVWR less the dry weight, which I'm calculating at 1,440.

Based on my understanding of this, you should be fine. The extra cargo capacity of the trailer is what put the one we ended up buying at the top of the list. We have plenty of cargo capacity in the TV which won’t be pushed until our kids are much older.

Maybe this is just me (MY OPINION) but towing with a V6 short wheel based vehicle will have challenges. Even with electric brakes and a proper hitch, there is a bunch of weight behind you that will move around. You need to remember wind, hills and traffic. Regardless, if you pack things in the trailer or the vehicle, it all counts as pounds that need to be pulled and stopped.
Let me know if we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

Maybe this is just me (MY OPINION) but towing with a V6 short wheel based vehicle will have challenges. Even with electric brakes and a proper hitch, there is a bunch of weight behind you that will move around. You need to remember wind, hills and traffic. Regardless, if you pack things in the trailer or the vehicle, it all counts as pounds that need to be pulled and stopped.
Let me know if we can help.
Thank you,
Ken
Thanks for the input. The wheel base vs trailer length is my main concern at this point.

Hope this is allowed here, but if you’re on Facebook, there’s a Durango Campers group where you can get a lot of Durango-specific info. (And see lots of people really pushing their luck!)

Hope this is allowed here, but if you’re on Facebook, there’s a Durango Campers group where you can get a lot of Durango-specific info. (And see lots of people really pushing their luck!)
Do you think this setup is pushing my luck? At first I thought I was well within the limits of the vehicle, but maybe I'm off base.

I'll check out that Facebook group if I can find it.

Do you think this setup is pushing my luck? At first I thought I was well within the limits of the vehicle, but maybe I'm off base.

I'll check out that Facebook group if I can find it.
Oh, I wasn’t insinuating that at all! At a glance it looks fine to me but there are folks here much more knowledgeable than I am. I was referring to some of the folks in the group and the things that they tow 😬

Reading up online, it looks like your max recommended trailer length is about 22.5 feet. I’m not sure if lighter weight affects that, though the anti-sway kit should help.

Latest resources

Back