RV Model
Bay Star 3014
Chassis
Ford F53, V8
Engine
Gas
TOW/TOAD
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
My windshield replacement quest is finally over after two long months.

We got a brand spanking new 2022 Newmar Baystar coach and was so happy to have it. We did our shakedown and just got it back from the dealer on Saturday who repaired our first punch list. I was alone Sunday and wanted to level the coach on blocks as the slope is a long reach for the jacks and it lifts the tire to level. As I was leveling it onto the blocks, I knew I was close. Apparently, I was over slightly. The coach rolled forward on the block and was quick to gain speed. I slammed the brakes, but the suspension slack allowed the coach to rock forward a couple inches more. That was all that was needed to kiss the eve of the house and shatter the front windshield. Exploded and smashed. I felt it down to my soul, shaking my head for several minutes in disbelief. I was not injured, except my pride. We missed two camping trips because of the fiasco of windshield replacement. My wife is great and not holding it against me – unless we miss one more trip.

The following Monday morning I called a “1-800 type national” provider to get the windshield replaced to try and salvage an upcoming trip. I was happy that by time I hung up, the glass was in route and an “installer” was selected close by. I was happy at this point, so I visited the shop that was scheduled to do the repair. I asked a couple questions that were apparently “rude” and disrespectful to ask… how long will you need to coach to sit? Do you have a secure location to let it sit overnight? Where should I park when dropping off the coach? Simple questions. The response was not as expected. The coach will not be parked overnight, and the spot for the repair was a 1-way shared alley that I could not park in for long. I would need to drive to coach out and bring it back in a few days for fill-in. The rude question I asked was “how does the glue cure in such a short time for me to drive the coach right after you install it?” It went downhill from there. The installer called the national center and said I was a bad customer and he didn’t want to do the install because “I would never be happy with the work.” Mind you, this alley was not flat, and not level. We had several back-and-forth conversations and the installer agreed to install the window. He was the only one willing to install in my area. Days later I drive to this location – road construction made it a nightmare because this spot was totally roadblocked and I had to unhook my toad on the detour road close by. I leave the coach with the installer and go to work. 10 min into my work day I get a call… the new windshield had “broke” and could not be installed. I had to drive back to the install location, hook up my toad, and drive it back home – raining glass inside the coach. I was not happy – at all. I contacted the national provider and asked about next steps. I was furious because the glass had sat in their shop for days. If it were broken before my arrival, they could have already checked and re-ordered the glass. If they broke the glass that morning, then they just didn’t want to do the install anyways because I’m a “bad” customer. I wanted to know what was going to happen, and I wanted a plan with action. Several back-and-forth conversations lead to the national provider hanging up on me. Repeated attempts to call back went unanswered. Up to this point, there was no reason to suspect fraud, until they hung up on me. There was no waybill for shipping, no signature for receiving the glass unbroken, and no service for installing. I did some research and find the owner and the top rep at the national glass provider and make some additional calls.

I got through to the top rep and talked directly to her about the unprofessional manner I was shown. I outlined my expectations for moving forward and wanted a plan. I refused to return to the original installer because they obviously could not handle glass without breaking it. I was not wanting further delays. A week went by and no plan, no communication. Another week went by, and it’s now one month since my first contact and deposit ($2500). I requested a refund and outline the terms of the refund. There was no reason not to receive my money back as it was within our original agreement. All communication was by email at this point, and I made sure to track all communications to one thread.

At this point, I was on my own to locate an installer and find the glass to install. I called EVERYONE who was close to possible as an installer. No Bueno. For those of you who live in a low population state, this information may help you some day, but I hope you never need it.

I called the two providers of RV glass in the nation. One is Lippert, and the other is the OEM for Newmar.

If you need a Newmar windshield and you are tasked with logistics, then definitely call Custom Glass Solutions in Ohio at 855-782-5246. I got the best price anywhere at $2100 including shipping. The kicker – the glass is stamped with the Newmar logo like it’s from the factory. Apparently Newmar has not changed their glass shape in several years, so you’ll likely find what you need in stock. Lippert was close to $3500 for the same glass, however the Lippert (Duncan Systems (574) 294-6852) service at helping me find an installer was most excellent. Several layers into their glass service people, I was able to find the insurance rep and they had the list of all installers in my area. I was able to confirm that none on their list does RV windshield installs anymore. Most just stopped installing RV windshields. Beware, this seems to be a growing trend in the RV industry for specialty work. I was able to get additional installer names from Lippert and fortunately, one was still available – 60 miles away.

I got the glass purchased from Custom Glass Solutions, and shipped to the new installer. Talking with the installer, and asking the exact same questions from the original installer, I was told no problem. 3 days to cure before backfill, level and secure location to leave it parked on-site. Things were starting to look up. I regaled my previous install experience to a gasp at the poor install technique that was suggested, which confirmed that I was in the right place.

No communication with the national provider still. Another week has gone by without a refund.

So I taped up the front windshield inside and outside with 4 rolls of Gorilla tape for the trip. Glad I did too. Interstate and a shattered windshield do not make for a pleasant trip. Dropped off the coach and had a chat with the installers. Turns out that the “national providers” were well known because insurance companies are required to use a broker – the same one I was dealing with. The national glass providers use their own transport service and often arrive broken (~70% according to the installer) – hmmmm. Interesting, but not something that really matters to me now, but this may be why insurance jobs take months to complete. The new installer did a good job, and I had my coach back Tuesday after the 4th weekend. Missed the second camping trip by a couple days.

No communication with the “national” provider still. Another week has gone by.

Another week, and I’m not happy. I’m approaching the 60-day mark for the original charge and I’m not getting the feeling that I’ll ever see my refund. Email stated the same and my expectation were known.

Another week… no refund.

After the 4th week waiting for a refund (8th week from the original charge), I laid out my intentions to seek alternative avenue for my refund, or seek investigative intervention on wire fraud for failure to provide goods and service as agreed. The same day I sent that email, I got a full refund. I’ll make sure it sticks and is accredited to my account in a few days because I do not trust them – at all.

All told – National provider would have been $5100 – if it all went well.

My total - $1070 for the install labor (including sealant and materials) + $2100 for the glass = $3170 total.

If you live in an area with high RV population, this likely won’t happen to you (AZ and FL). However, if you need this information, it could save you several weeks of frustration. I can only hope nobody has to deal with this level of poor service. Ask questions, and don’t be afraid to make sure the installer does the job right because you are the customer and it’s your coach.

Now, time to go camping!

Go camping! Wow, what a story. I can tell you I've had amazing success and great customer service from Duncan - RVGlass.com a Lippert company. Safe and happy travels ahead, let's see some camping pictures soon!

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear of your ad experince. If we share our experiences, good and bad, it will save a lot of headaches for many people.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear of your ad experience. If we share our experiences, good and bad, it will save a lot of headaches for many people.

It happens. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, I hope it helps.
I've learned to take the good and bad in stride because this was a first world problem. Blessed just to be challenged.

Kinda feel like this so far with the little things: man the little things add up...
Just one of those things.jpg

A little off topic, but may help some of you in this local area ... I just had a very successful and easy windshield replacement done here in Fort Myers, FL. What amazed me is how many companies were involved.

My insurance is with Progressive who I guess subs all glass replacement to Safelite. Somehow Duncan Glass is also involved ... but the work was actually done by Auto Glass Wearhouse here in Fort Myers.

I started with Auto Glass Wearhouse who then set up a three-way call with Progressive to get the ball rolling. My only request was for Newmar certified glass to be used. I then received follow-up calls from Safelite, then Duncan Glass and finally Auto Glass Wearhouse saying all was approved and the replacement glass was ordered and coming directly from Newmar. It got here a week later and was installed. Since I live in Florida with it's no deductible on glass damage ... my cost was "zero".

SO .... if you are in the southwest Florida area, just start by calling Kim at Auto Glass Wearhouse. She will handle the rest and make it very easy.

FLSteve :cool:

A little off topic, but may help some of you in this local area ... I just had a very successful and easy windshield replacement done here in Fort Myers, FL. What amazed me is how many companies were involved.

My insurance is with Progressive who I guess subs all glass replacement to Safelite. Somehow Duncan Glass is also involved ... but the work was actually done by Auto Glass Wearhouse here in Fort Myers.

I started with Auto Glass Wearhouse who then set up a three-way call with Progressive to get the ball rolling. My only request was for Newmar certified glass to be used. I then received follow-up calls from Safelite, then Duncan Glass and finally Auto Glass Wearhouse saying all was approved and the replacement glass was ordered and coming directly from Newmar. It got here a week later and was installed. Since I live in Florida with it's no deductible on glass damage ... my cost was "zero".

SO .... if you are in the southwest Florida area, just start by calling Kim at Auto Glass Wearhouse. She will handle the rest and make it very easy.

FLSteve :cool:

I agree that peeps in AZ and FL should not have problems finding good service for their windshield repairs. Glad you got yours taken care of by someone who works well. Safelite would not touch class A motorhomes here.
Months later all is still well with my replacement, no leaks.

Are you allowed to share the name of this national provider?

Latest resources

Back