Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gary petzak

RVF Newbee
Hi, I'm the owner of a Forest river camper. I have had an issue with my shore power cord heating up and melting a bit. I changed the shore power cord and I thought all was well. Yesterday I noticed the 30 amp plug was melted some, ordered a new one, took the old one out and it came right off the wires!!! Never tighten up from the factory. Yikes, makes me wander about the rest of the trailer.

You know when metal is heated it grows right? It only takes once to reform the wire and it gets loose. You may be asking to much from 30 amp connection. I have seen more than a few cord caps that have overheated.

Two reasons for overheating: (a) loose contact, (b) excessive current demand.

As part of my annual maintenance, I check connections and tighten as necessary. This includes those in the converter panel for the AC breakers and the DC fuses. Also, the shore power cord where connections are accessible.

Failure to employ proper maintenance procedures is sure to lead to a failure when least expected, yet being one to produce the most inconvenience.

Bob

Hi, I'm the owner of a Forest river camper. I have had an issue with my shore power cord heating up and melting a bit. I changed the shore power cord and I thought all was well. Yesterday I noticed the 30 amp plug was melted some, ordered a new one, took the old one out and it came right off the wires!!! Never tighten up from the factory. Yikes, makes me wander about the rest of the trailer.
I got a new plug from E-trailer, all is well, fit great, looks good, and it ever works! Not bad for a old carpenter.

You know when metal is heated it grows right? It only takes once to reform the wire and it gets loose. You may be asking to much from 30 amp connection. I have seen more than a few cord caps that have overheated.
I had one power cord fail in the same manner and I attribute some of it to the sheer weight of the power cord hanging. I now support the cord where it is connected to our coach.
I truly agree with your post. Thermal cycling is a very real issue which is worsened by in improper connector torqueing

Latest resources

Back