RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Aerolite
RV Length
23'
Fulltimer
No
We purchased a Haloview RD-10 backup camera and planned to replace one of the running lights with the camera and use the power from the running light to power the camera. All 5 of the running lights are wired in parallel so cutting the + and - lead from the center wire didn't affect the other 4. However, we cannot get the leads to power the camera or the light if we reconnect it. If we touch the + and - lead together it dims the other lights. I admit I am not an electrical genius but I thought I knew enough to handle this little DC wiring project. Can someone tell us what we are doing wrong?

IMG_0103 copy.jpg

OK! When you shorted out the wires you could have done damage to a connector. Mult-meters can be really cheap to purchase and that should have been your approach to test power.

Just cuzz it's in the box does not mean it works.

For the record:
The lighting sequence on a rig is not just cuzz it looks good. legal issues apply when changing lighting, its about understanding what it is you are coming up to when you can't see the outline. The three light pattern is supposed to be there.

We have tested with a multimeter and it is registering power.

It could be the camera but I assumed it was something I was doing wrong.

It will not be a big deal to put the center light back in place and simply mount the camera above the light.

I would check the camera before reinstalling it.

I would mount the camera below the lights, and aim it so I could see for trailer hookup.

I would not use the light circuit for the camera because you will have to have the lights on to use it.

I tried exactly the same thing four weeks ago and was unable to get sufficient power to the camera. The two other choices are to run a new, permanent wire and to use a portable battery. I'd like a permanent wire but I'm running a portable battery until I get back to this project on the list.

I went with this battery:
TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 100Wh 12V/8300mAh 9V/11000mAh 5V/20000mAh DC Output Lithium ion Battery Pack for LED Strip, CCTV Camera and More, Portable Li-ion Batteries with AC/DC Charger

It's working well. When I'm ready to back up, I walk to the back of my Class C, turn on the battery, connect my hitch to the trailer, then turn it off. A short operation like that takes almost no energy and I expect I'll rarely have to recharge it. When I do need to recharge it, there is a handy indicator to tell me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back