• Commercial/Vendors welcome

YouTube vs anything else

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I’m a little more simplistic, plus I am not a full timer. If I go anywhere for a decent amount of time I strartup Starlink for the duration, then turn it off when back. If my stay is short I just use my iPhone as a hotspot.
We mostly use it for TV so we need nothing fancy. I really got Starlink for work related stuff, but I’m trying to avoid that 4 letter word.. 😊

Have been 100% YouTubeTV, YouTube, Netflix, Prime, AppleTV for years now.

All using our AppleTV with dual band cellular CradlePoint for service.

I use a TMO 5G gateway and ATT 4G/LTE sim for backup.

Zero complaints…aside from Google nearly doubling the price of YTTV! 😡

Zero complaints…aside from Google nearly doubling the price of YTTV! 😡
I hear you on that. I moved over to SlingTv, but only use it about half the year. I also use “Cinema” which is free.

No way unless you go business.

$550 for equipment and $150 per month. You can shut off service like I did for the winter then there is no charge. There are some options too.

https://www.starlink.com/roam [QUOT... posted showing all the cost/plans. [/QUOTE]
No way unless you go business.

$550 for equipment and $150 per month. You can shut off service like I did for the winter then there is no charge. There are some options too.

We have read that if you only have mobile Starlink that the service is really bad but if you opted for Mobile Priority that you are guaranteed service all of the time. The main difference being from what I have read is your initial cost: $599 for mobile but $2500 for mobile priority. Which one did you do and have you had any issues.

We have read that if you only have mobile Starlink that the service is really bad but if you opted for Mobile Priority that you are guaranteed service all of the time. The main difference being from what I have read is your initial cost: $599 for mobile but $2500 for mobile priority. Which one did you do and have you had any issues.
I’m not sure where you are getting $2500 for mobile priority? If you go to the link I gave you it says mobile priority is $250.

Now I don’t have that. I just have the standard $150. I’ve never had a problem with connection or speed at anytime. I ran my computer all day across the internet and streamed TV at night. I have about 10-12 devices connected iPhones, security cameras, computers, iPads, and TV’s.
My download speeds would change 190 meg to maybe 60 meg but never had a problem with anything.

I’m not sure where you are getting $2500 for mobile priority? If you go to the link I gave you it says mobile priority is $250.

Now I don’t have that. I just have the standard $150. I’ve never had a problem with connection or speed at anytime. I ran my computer all day across the internet and streamed TV at night. I have about 10-12 devices connected iPhones, security cameras, computers, iPads, and TV’s.
My download speeds would change 190 meg to maybe 60 meg but never had a problem with anything.
Ah...you're referring to the monthly fee of $250, which only gets you 50GB.
BUT....LOOK AT THE HARDWARE; THE FLAT HP ANTENNA...it's $2500!
It's a real "gotcha" with the new "mobile priority" plans!!
I had a wireless engineer friend of mine give me the heads up LONG ago...and told me his clients would be facing as much as $10k to "due business" with the new mobile starlink plan. NOPE.
(Keep in mind, that the new "MOBILE" On The Go is geo-speedlocked to UNDER 10 MPH)

Here's the actual page for reference.
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 11.57.14 PM.png

Ah...you're referring to the monthly fee of $250, which only gets you 50GB.
BUT....LOOK AT THE HARDWARE; THE FLAT HP ANTENNA...it's $2500!
It's a real "gotcha" with the new "mobile priority" plans!!
I had a wireless engineer friend of mine give me the heads up LONG ago...and told me his clients would be facing as much as $10k to "due business" with the new mobile starlink plan. NOPE.
(Keep in mind, that the new "MOBILE" On The Go is geo-speedlocked to UNDER 10 MPH)

Here's the actual page for reference.
View attachment 22789
Well, you didn’t ask for business or maritime or in motion! You just asked for a mobile plan.
First I guess, what are your requirements? What do you need it for?
My assumption was you need it for your RV?
If so why do you need in motion? That would require a mounted dish. Then when you get to an RV site with trees you render it useless.

Again what are your requirements? 50 gig is quite a bit, but what happens after that?
Not too much in my area. Things don’t stop, they get throttled back. In my case I saw speeds drop, but not enough to affect anything.

In my testing I used my $150 Starlink mobile at my house for three months. Part of that time I did a little part time work remotely linked through a secure network to a remote computer doing some programming 8 hrs a day for a month or so while at night still enjoying TV streaming, wife on her iPad etc. Not a Problem!

So I’m questioning why you need such high speeds and why do you need to be connected going down the road?

Well, you didn’t ask for business or maritime or in motion! You just asked for a mobile plan.
If so why do you need in motion? That would require a mounted dish. Then when you get to an RV site with trees you render it useless.

Again what are your requirements? 50 gig is quite a bit, but what happens after that?
Not too much in my area. Things don’t stop, they get throttled back. In my case I saw speeds drop, but not enough to affect anything.

In my testing I used my $150 Starlink mobile at my house for three months. Part of that time I did a little part time work remotely linked through a secure network to a remote computer doing some programming 8 hrs a day for a month or so while at night still enjoying TV streaming, wife on her iPad etc. Not a Problem!

So I’m questioning why you need such high speeds and why do you need to be connected going down the road?
We were looking on line and it actually said that the mobile got horrible service and would likely lose the internet signal but if you do the mobile priority it was guaranteed service, that’s all. We were going to do the mobile one but saw that on a Starlink page and wanted to make sure the mobile one worked well for rv’ers.

We were looking on line and it actually said that the mobile got horrible service and would likely lose the internet signal but if you do the mobile priority it was guaranteed service, that’s all. We were going to do the mobile one but saw that on a Starlink page and wanted to make sure the mobile one worked well for rv’ers.
Cool,
I believe there is a money back guarantee for a limited time. Not sure.

Sorry. I think you may be mistaken. This is not for me. I was simply parroting what my friends have been told and forwarded that info here.

Latest resources

Back