Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As I start my route home to VA end of September from Pagosa Springs, CO I would like to stop at White Sands. Been there long ago when stationed at Holloman AFB. Any suggestions of a campground located for spending time at White Sands?

The closest city is Las Cruces and I have stayed at Hacienda RV resort in town. Not the quietest place since it is adjacent to the freeway, but it is clean, and good interior access roads. Las Cruces is the closest to White Sands is my understanding.

Several years ago we stayed at Hacienda RV Resort. I thought it was overpriced but not a bad CG. This time out we are staying at Coachlight Inn and RV Park in Las Cruces. We will be there on August 25 and stay a week.

I was stationed at WSMR back in late 72 into 73. I hauled stuff to the air base a lot. I love going back to that whole area.

As I start my route home to VA end of September from Pagosa Springs, CO I would like to stop at White Sands. Been there long ago when stationed at Holloman AFB. Any suggestions of a campground located for spending time at White Sands?
Hacienda has 6 nice wide long pull-thrus in the back near the dog walk. We have stayed in those spots several times. Actually fairly quiet. Check out Old Mesilla near the park for some good eating spots. Andele’s Dog House for one.

Holloman has a famcamp and wsmr has a small famcamp. Watch out for goatheads though.

We liked the patio sites at Las Cruces KOA. The pull thru sites were too close. Great Wifi with streaming capabilities.

Carlsbad KOA isn't bad either.

Wish I could be on White Sands but I guess a local CG will do. I did see the two famcamps, I'm looking at the one to the south and like that it doesn't make you turn in your guns, just report them.

Wish I could be on White Sands but I guess a local CG will do. I did see the two famcamps, I'm looking at the one to the south and like that it doesn't make you turn in your guns, just report them.
We loved our visit to White Sands recently. I would advise going fairly early. It was also interesting to see the border patrol check points we had to go through when in the area, dogs, large guns,cameras, and scary looking men!!! Judy D

Last edited:
Actually Alamogordo is closer to White Sands NP than Cruces.
If you're coming out of Pagosa Springs taking 84/285 you won't end up in Cruces unless you do it on purpose. 285 will drop you on to 54 and you'll come in from the north.

Yes, going to closest location of White Sands and familiar with the area as I was stationed at Holloman. Want a CG as close to White Sands as possible even if boondocking. Want the majestic environment it offers and not just do day trips but I'll do so if that's the best I can do.

I thought you might be able to camp somewhere at WSNP? Guess not

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back