• Commercial/Vendors welcome

120v and generator…

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am confused by 2 white wires coming from the generator and connecting in the same spot. It also looks like someone cut a ground off and left the stub in the bar. Is the green wire from the generator actually wired in? Why not put it in its own space on the bar? When you switch from Gen to Shore, you should be able to hear the relays click and a simple multi meter will tell you where the power is or is not.

I am confused by 2 white wires coming from the generator and connecting in the same spot. It also looks like someone cut a ground off and left the stub in the bar. Is the green wire from the generator actually wired in? Why not put it in its own space on the bar? When you switch from Gen to Shore, you should be able to hear the relays click and a simple multi meter will tell you where the power is or is not.
Hmmm…once again, I “assumed” all of that would be correct, but as I’ve been learning, just about everything on this thing has been damaged in one way or another. I do have an online printout of how it’s supposed to be wired, so I’ll give that a look too. Also, haven’t heard any clicking from it but I could have missed it by not paying attention…

Hmmm…once again, I “assumed” all of that would be correct, but as I’ve been learning, just about everything on this thing has been damaged in one way or another. I do have an online printout of how it’s supposed to be wired, so I’ll give that a look too. Also, haven’t heard any clicking from it but I could have missed it by not paying attention…
Also, when you mentioned “switch from Gen to shore…” I read something close to that in this manual I have but my over-analyzing confuses me—does that mean actually having the shore cord unplugged from the house until Gen is stopped? Or can it remain connected to the shore power outlet? I think I mean, can the shore power be connected at all times, even if the Gen is cranked/started? (I know it’s not normal but I’m curious🥴)

Different systems in many rigs. Some autostart the genny when shore power is lost, other may have you switch it manually. Some have no switch and require you to plug the shore power cord into an outlet the genny is hooked to. Since you have an auto transfer switch, it would seem it should auto switch......lol. But maybe not. IF you have a manual it should explain the system you have.

Different systems in many rigs. Some autostart the genny when shore power is lost, other may have you switch it manually. Some have no switch and require you to plug the shore power cord into an outlet the genny is hooked to. Since you have an auto transfer switch, it would seem it should auto switch......lol. But maybe not. IF you have a manual it should explain the system you have.
Yep. I need to see if I can find some kind of manual for the auto switch—I did find a copy of the wiring instructions.
The Allegro manual doesn’t shed any more light on it either.

Today I had a chance to recheck breakers. Restarted the generator, and still no power. I also found one GFI outlet next to the hallway sink. I was able to check it after I shut down the genset and then plugged in to shore power. All outlets worked and the GFI outlet tested fine…I’ll try again tomorrow and see if the wife can help so that I can be near the switch to listen for that “click”…

It is possible for the generator to not be working. It is an Onan? They are more complex then most as they have a lot of sensors and systems in place that can fail. Very possible to run fine and not put out any power. Put up your model number, not the one that says how many Kw it is. I have lots of manuals but troubleshooting can be a nightmare. The Cummins dealer here in Chattanooga requires them to be removed from the chassis to work on them. As mobile techs there is not a lot we can do with them.

It is possible for the generator to not be working. It is an Onan? They are more complex then most as they have a lot of sensors and systems in place that can fail. Very possible to run fine and not put out any power. Put up your model number, not the one that says how many Kw it is. I have lots of manuals but troubleshooting can be a nightmare. The Cummins dealer here in Chattanooga requires them to be removed from the chassis to work on them. As mobile techs there is not a lot we can do with them.
Could very well be. It’s an Onan Marquis 7000.

Could very well be. It’s an Onan Marquis 7000.
I would check gen output at the gen. The issue with many Onan generators is the field compensation circuit. This circuit changes the field voltage to manage voltage sag. Although its been some time, as I recall it has brushes. You might check them for possible replacement next.

Latest resources

Back