• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dylan Farrell

RVF Newbee
Hello,
Super new motor home owner here. Recently bought a 1989 Fleetwood Southwind that was suppose to be good to go but actually didnt even make it home without issues, yes I was duped. We have been told that the water pump has gone and needs replacing. Unfortunately, no one seems to know how to go about replacing it and the only shop big enough to work on it qouted me $7000.00 cause he thinks he needs to pull the whole front of the motor home apart to gain access. I am looking for anyone with some knowledge or experience doing this type of job on this particular model. Honestly, I'm not even sure how one would even put on new belts in this thing as it seems so tight. I have added a few pics so you might have an idea of what I am talking about. Thanks so much for any advice on working on this thing would be great.

Attachments

• 20201106_143300.jpg
    20201106_143300.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 20201106_143354.jpg
    20201106_143354.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 83
  • 20201106_143300.jpg
    20201106_143300.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 81
  • 20201106_143423.jpg
    20201106_143423.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20201106_143500.jpg
    20201106_143500.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • 20201106_143715.jpg
    20201106_143715.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
The doghouse that encloses the engine on the interior can be removed which will give more access. I think between access underneath the coach and access from inside water pump can be removed. I would look around for another quote, it is labor intensive but $7000 sounds high.

I had 1992 Pace Arrow and replaced exhaust manifolds, hoses and belts myself. I was younger and lighter back then?

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. This is one of those jobs that most shops don't want to tackle because it ties up their working bays too long so they charge you enough to make up for the lost revenue. However, if you are mechanically inclined you can do this yourself if you're willing to take your time. Don't get overwhelmed by looking at all the things that must be removed to be able to access the water pump. Juts get a plan of attack and go at it. Take your time. Take lots of pictures so you can remember how everything went together. Label everything. Take notes. Pretty soon you'll see the water pump!! :LOL: After removing everything in the way I think you'll find you can swap out the pumps yourself. If nothing else, if you do all the time consuming labor of removing everything, then the shop should be able to change the water pump for a reasonable amount. Of course you'll have to tow the RV to the shop. If it actually comes down to pulling the engine to access the pump, I'd rebuild it and replace all the belts and hoses and accessories all while you have the engine out so you don't have to do this twice!! ?

Having owned a 1990 Southwind (same powertrain) for less than a year & given the amount of maintenance work I've done........... I can't believe $7000 to change a 454 water pump. GM built that engine for decades; it didn't change much. Southwind is built on a GM P3500 truck chassis; talk to a garage/mechanic that works on similar. Best wishes!

The price is to discourage you. If the radiator and condenser can be moved out of the way it should be no problem to do the job yourself. Only use top of the line parts so your not at the same place in a year.

It is possible to replace a water pump yourself. I have a 1995 Fleetwood Southwind and my friend replaced it over a few days and the parts were around $65. What took the most time was removing all the bolts and parts in the way to get to the water pump. It was successful and started and ran on the first try. Good luck.

We have a 1990 Southwind w/ same engine. Were you anywhere's close to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada; I could do it for $400 & parts/incidentals/mileage. Other than access fr below & above it's no different than a 1 ton up GM truck chassis.

Hello,
Super new motor home owner here. Recently bought a 1989 Fleetwood Southwind that was suppose to be good to go but actually didnt even make it home without issues, yes I was duped. We have been told that the water pump has gone and needs replacing. Unfortunately, no one seems to know how to go about replacing it and the only shop big enough to work on it qouted me $7000.00 cause he thinks he needs to pull the whole front of the motor home apart to gain access. I am looking for anyone with some knowledge or experience doing this type of job on this particular model. Honestly, I'm not even sure how one would even put on new belts in this thing as it seems so tight. I have added a few pics so you might have an idea of what I am talking about. Thanks so much for any advice on working on this thing would be great.
I have a 1970 southwind 454 I'm 55 an could replace it but am tired of working on vehicle s is sale you my motor for 3000 and it does run real good I've parked on a lot now an if I ever leave I'm not gonna take it so I'd sale the motor then so if your interested .My name is Gail

Having owned a 1990 Southwind (same powertrain) for less than a year & given the amount of maintenance work I've done........... I can't believe $7000 to change a 454 water pump. GM built that engine for decades; it didn't change much. Southwind is built on a GM P3500 truck chassis; talk to a garage/mechanic that works on similar. Best wishes!
IDK about that I have a 92 PACE ARROW with the 454 Chevy engine . And i seen another exactly like mine with a Ford drive train 460 engine 😕

Latest resources

Back