Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bluewolf115

RVF Regular
1995 Fleetwood bounder flair. Just got it and first motorhome. Started fine and drove home over 100 miles. Next day, turned key and just got a click. So without knowing anything about the auxiliary start button, I hooked up battery charger. Flipped it to high amperage engine start and tried to start. I got nothing, not even a click. Tried charging battery and tried 2 different chargers. Both said that the battery is charged fully. Checked to make sure cables were tight and they are. Found out about auxiliary start and tried it, nothing. Checked all fuses under hood and under instrument panel, all good. I'm getting power to the solenoids but not fuse box under instrument panel. So I'm thinking there's something between the solenoid and fuse box that I blew when I hit the high amp engine start on the charger. Does anyone know what to look for or what it might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to RVF, @Bluewolf115; glad to have you here, but sorry it is under these circumstances. I’m not familiar with that particular coach’s electrical layout, but it sounds like you are talking about the chassis battery/batteries. Not sure if you have one or two chassis batteries. How old are those batteries? If over 5 years old, it sounds like the battery/batteries may have failed. Just because they are showing some voltage doesn’t mean they are good.

The first thing I would do is to have the batteries “load tested.” By putting the batteries under a known load, their true condition can be determined.

If the batteries are good, then you may have a starter or starter solenoid that has failed. Are you familiar with how to manually shorty a solenoid to see if the starter turns the engine over? If not, this is NOT the time to earn. It will be “find a qualified RV mechanic time.”

Dood luck.

TJ

Batteries are fine after all it started several times the day before. Have 1 battery for engine start. The problem is current from batteries to solenoids is fine. But from there to the chassis fuses, horn, ignition, radio, etc. There's no power to the fuse box for all that. Turn key and nothing. No power reaching fuses which in turn means no power to ignition switch.

Have you found a fuse/relay box in the front of the coach on driver’s side inside the engine compartment?

Ford, Chevy? Look for the starter relay. Take a pair of pliers and jumper between the two large lugs. If it cranks that is the problem if the key connection or key is not the problem.

Chevy, and yes already tried that in the beginning of trying to find the problem. Like I have started, I have power to the solenoid. The problem is NO power to the fuse box under the dash. Without power to the fuse box then the ignition won't work. The fuse box has no power. Batteries are fine. Power everywhere else but fuse box. No radio, heater motor, horn, etc. Because of no power to fuses. Something between the fuse box and battery power is blown. The power wire for the fuse box is dead. Is there a fusible link on this wire? Where does this wire come in to contact with the battery? At the solenoids?

Chevy, and yes already tried that in the beginning of trying to find the problem. Like I have started, I have power to the solenoid. The problem is NO power to the fuse box under the dash. Without power to the fuse box then the ignition won't work. The fuse box has no power. Batteries are fine. Power everywhere else but fuse box. No radio, heater motor, horn, etc. Because of no power to fuses. Something between the fuse box and battery power is blown. The power wire for the fuse box is dead. Is there a fusible link on this wire? Where does this wire come in to contact with the battery? At the solenoids?
Most of the time. Most fusible links are close to the battery. If it is blown look for bare wire before you replace it. Don't worry about finding fusible link. replace it with an inline fuse.

Seems to me if you have power to the solenoid but no power after the solenoid that the solenoid is your problem.

Latest resources

Back