RV Make
Jayco
RV Model
26 BH
RV Length
29 ft
Fulltimer
No
I am looking at a Tiffin here in the Chattanooga area. It has the 330HP Cat. Only 47,000 miles on it. Have not inspected it personally yet but thought I would reach out to the more experienced crowd in this fine forum about things to be concerned about. As an RV tech, I can handle repairs.....I just want to avoid any design or inherent problems with this age, class, of motorhome. My personal experience is limited with these kinds of vehicles.

Would hiring a RV inspector give you peace of mind?

Maybe, I know a couple of guys. The inspectors were in the same classes I was for the most part at school. I can use a list they use as well as they can. I cannot charge for a certified inspection. Main reason for asking is real world experience from people that have owned the same or similar models.

My concern with such low mileage would be lack of use. RVs especially diesels do not like to sit idle. All manner of systems will deteriorate from just sitting unused.

I am looking at a Tiffin here in the Chattanooga area. It has the 330HP Cat. Only 47,000 miles on it. Have not inspected it personally yet but thought I would reach out to the more experienced crowd in this fine forum about things to be concerned about. As an RV tech, I can handle repairs.....I just want to avoid any design or inherent problems with this age, class, of motorhome. My personal experience is limited with these kinds of vehicles.
There is what is referred to as "The Infamous Tiffin Crack". It doesn't happen to all of them, but happens enough that you need to be aware of it.

It is discussed at the following link.

Stress crack

Yes! I am still here, just to busy preparing to spend much time here.

Let me go against the narrative for a moment!

I full time, at some time in this conversation my point will become obvious!

First the numbers!!!

21/47000 ah forget close, 2000 miles a year! The auto industry figures 12000 a year for the family sedan, though we all know that is bogus today. An RV??? For a busy family planning to retire to a new life? They are lucky if they put 2000 a year on the toy! That would make weekly trips into the woods about 40 miles a week one way. Most likely though they would have put those miles on in the first 3 to 5 years. If diligent they drove it around the block to keep things moving. For me 2000 miles pulling the trailer is about 1000 miles shy annually which may shed some light on a low mileage vehicle.

Equally important is interior wear compared to miles driven as an indicator to how the vehicle was used. Tire age is an indicator to how long the RV was sitting unused. 5 years on the tire may mean the owner realized the price of upkeep was higher than they were willing to continue paying for hours used.

The absence of a DEF system makes this RV a desirable unit to those wanting to avoid, on the road repairs. The MPG may be undesirable, however, there is nothing more costly than roadside repairs.

I think, depending on your assessment, that you may have found a diamond!

There is what is referred to as "The Infamous Tiffin Crack". It doesn't happen to all of them, but happens enough that you need to be aware of it.

It is discussed at the following link.

Stress crack
Yah! This is big! But can be managed.

>I recently watched a YouTube video that had a bit of advice I found to be a gem!!! Forget about thinking outside the box! Think as though there were no box!!!

So no repairs of the symptoms, repairs the problem! Plain and simple.

When you forget what you see and try to understand why! The problem becomes obvious.

First is the square corner!
Second is the slide hole that weakens the wall!
No reinforcement to compensate for the hole.

Just a matter of time!!!

So why don't all RVs have the same issue? Well quite a few do! But just like cracking in the stick and brick, it comes down to a weak foundation. Fix the foundation, fix the cracking, that simple! Well not really simple, but doable!

Thanks for the responses. I just returned from viewing the unit. It has been repainted, badly and there was a significant roof leak at some time. I suspect it was in the line of fire of the tornado a few years back. It had a smell like water damage and a poorly installed laminate floor that had a hump in it. Other then that, ran like a top, 7500 Onan did also. I liked that the generator pulled out on a slide to service it. He is a house flipper so he is used to putting lipstick on the pig and passing the real problems on to unsuspecting buyers. I will pass.

Make an offer commensurate with water damage, paint (& body if needed) repair and new flooring. Of course at this point, he might be paying you to take it away. FWIW, I have a friend that works for Freightliner custom chassis and this is along the lines of what he's shopping for, perhaps just a few years newer.

Latest resources

Back