skychs

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3636
RV Length
While working on the roof of my Ventana LE I discovered the front roof seam tape has started to peal away. Unfortunately for me ... the sticky residue is full of debris. Any ideas on how to clean this mess up so I can replace the tape?

22DFB179-61B6-4189-886A-B0A4D082D5A8.jpeg

2EB431BC-6B78-4D35-AB6B-2397578F87D2.jpeg

maybe the tape manufacture could offer what chemical to use that would not bother the roof and cap.

I would start with WD-40; it is a fairly good solvent that is pretty safe on fiberglass. Asking Newmar or the tape manufacturer would also be good approaches.

Good luck.

TJ

Thanks everyone. I will give Newmar a call and see what they say. This may take some time. The good news is the fiberglass roof has been polished and in very good shape. If I don't have to get back on top of that roof anytime soon I will be happy.

27CCE869-655D-43F1-9F3F-A7DEA638C757.jpeg

Thanks everyone. I will give Newmar a call and see what they say. This may take some time. The good news is the fiberglass roof has been polished and in very good shape. If I don't have to get back on top of that roof anytime soon I will be happy.

View attachment 3217

You know the location of that other Ventana? Okay, good, thanks :)

If you don't mind the initial big expense, check out RV Armor. It is a roof coating guaranteed fit life. If you decide to go with this pm me, before you make the arrangements.

It was standard eternabond on mine. Heat the tape and pull off the outer layer, then hit the remaining adhesive with mineral spirits. It’s time consuming work, but effective.

you can peel back that glue with a 3" floor scraper - it'll be work, I did all 100ft of the seams on my rig - took about a week. Eternabond makes a cleaner named Eternaclean. It is for prepping a surface for the tape. It doesn'r mention that it dissolves their glue though.

A D-Limonene based cleaner works well on these types or glues. They are sometimes referred to as orange based cleaners. They also work well for removing tar on painted surfaces.

Latest resources

Back