• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mikern

RVF Regular
we are first time coach buyers and are interested in purchasing the above coach
i would like to ask a few questions so bare with me
-first there is no inverter in the coach since the fridge is propane/electric, i dont mind this since we do a lot of race tracks that have no power
in my research it is the only class a i have seen with this type of fridge, would this be a big deal for full timers?
would like to add a inverter to run a few items and tv. hard to do?
-the generator has 907 hrs , is this alot i heard it is better to have more than not enough
is it better to install 6 volt batteries compared to 12 volt more amps with 6 coach now has 3 12 volts
also the roof is not full fiberglass , its not the same on my 5th wheel , its very shinny and smooth (sorry)
i am really impressed with the quality of this entry level model.
this unit is extremely clean with only 35000 KLMS or 21500 miles

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated mike

mike

Welcome to RVForums @mikern. Great coach, do you have a link or anything you may want us to review for you?

My guess is it does have an inverter and it should be in the bay aft of the house batteries, driver's side, near the basement ceiling and it's white.

If it's a 40ft coach it may have an electric residential fridge, are you sure it's propane?

I have over 500 hours on my GEN, I know some seem to try and not run them thinking a lower counter is better. In my opinion an exercised generator that is used frequently is better. If things don't get used they rot, rust, and fail. I have zero concern with a 907 hour gen, it's probably designed for thousands of hours of run time.

We typically use 6V batteries in these RV's. As to which is better is really up to you as long as you know how to properly wire them such as series, parallel, etc.

If the roof is shiny white it may be fiberglass, even as such it's a thin layer on top of a wood base. Otherwise you may have a different material such as a rubberized one.

That is low mileage, I have nearly 60K on my 2017. Again, I'd rather it be used than sit and rot.

Best of luck, Newmar makes great coaches!

The fridge and the roof are not a problem. There’s pros and cons to a gas fridge but you can deal with it. It’s convenient to have a 120v fridge, but it’s also nice to be able to run the fridge with no electricity. I was looking for a rig with a gas fridge when I bought mine and ended up with a residential fridge. I like it but it does take a lot of power by comparison.

The fiberglass roof is a nice upgrade but it can develop issues the standard “BriteTek” wont, and the BriteTek is tough, easy to maintain, and easily repairable if there’s ever any issues. I had it on my Bay Star and had no problems with it.

Adding an inverter is easy as is upgrading the battery bank, especially with all the baggage space on that coach. You’ll want to identify your power needs before making a decision on inverter size and battery specs, but none of it is difficult.

The only real downside on the LE is towing capacity, but the 40’ models are rated for 5,000lbs fully loaded, so that's probably fine too. 907 hrs is an average of only 10 hours/month on that genny which is both minimal and beneficial. That generator will run thousands of hours if maintained properly.

Here’s the brochure in case you haven’t seen it:

You can get the build sheet from Newmar with the six digit production number to find out exactly what equipment and options the coach came with. The brochure says it has a 1200w inverter and four 12v house batteries.

I’d also like to take a look at the coach if you have a link to it. Are you buying from a private party or off a lot? Dealers commonly know very little about rigs they take in on trade and also almost never have maintenance records. Woth a little investigative effort you can figure out how well it was cared for mechanically and as Neal said, with milage that low you are in pretty good shape.

One thing to look at is the tires. If they are the originals, they are aging out at seven years even though they have plenty of tread and its around $5,000 to replace them. Examine the sidewalls for checking. If they have been covered most of the time they could still be good, but if they have moderate + cracking it’s time for new rubber. Refer to page 7 of this for specifics: https://tiretraker.com/michelin.pdf

Great looking coach and at that price, if it checks the rest of the boxes, I’d say jump on it. Also you have the vin so you can check on recalls (I just did this - there aren’t any active recalls). Ask about maintenance records but even without them as long as its had a couple oil changes (look for stickers in the door jam or on the windshield), it should be fine.

If not done yet, it is ready for fuel filters, an air filter, a chassis lube, and an air dryer, but other than that, mechanically its pretty young. Also check into generator maintenance and if in doubt, do that.

The presence of the Norcold four door, the convection/microwave/3 burner cook top in lieu of the standard range/oven, and washer/dryer, overhead TV etc, tells me it was ordered with some options, and if the microwave runs off the inverter it has the 2000w inverter option as well.

Were you told it doesn’t have an inverter?

Chassis specs: https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/2016-Newmar-Ventana-LE.pdf

Last edited:
yes i was told there was no inverter , i looked every where and did not see one
it has brand new tires on it all around , that invoice i seen as well , not cheap
i will phone newmar with the vin to see what the coach has
thanks for all the input
also some i have talked to say to purchase a rv warranty insurance since the manufacture warranty is over , if so what should i look for to cover thanks again

Last edited:
The inverter will be between the frame rails near the battery compartment, but inside a baggage area most likely in one of the pass-through compartments. You can’t see it without climbing in and looking up. But it will have a control panel with all the other house stuff in the overhead cabinet on the passenger side. There should also be a big file bag full of manuals and the inverter manual should be in there. The brochure says a 1200w inverter is standard and 2000w is optional, and with all the other optional stuff on that coach, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2kw unit on it. If there is no inverter, then someone removed it, which seems unlikely. More likely the dealer just doesn’t know about it.

Most warranties on used RVs are, in my opinion, way over-priced and I always question how reliably they will pay a claim. You also have to read the agreement carefully for deductibles and wiggle clauses. That said, some have found them useful. In the 3 years that I’ve owned my 2016 I’ve had to replace one air conditioner/heat pump which cost $1800. A decent warranty would have convered that (or most of it) but the warranty they tried to sell me was $10,000. It could pay off if something catastrophic happened, but it seemed unlikely to me. The coach had 17k miles on it and I do my maintenance religiously, more preventative stuff than is called for, so I’m unlikely to have that sort of problem.

Inverter control panel will be in the upper right cabinet like this 2016 LE 4037:
7AAEAF8C-77B8-48AF-B171-3EDED5B134C7.jpeg

Last edited:
yes i was told there was no inverter , i looked every where and did not see one
it has brand new tires on it all around , that invoice i seen as well , not cheap
i will phone newmar with the vin to see what the coach has
thanks for all the input
also some i have talked to say to purchase a rv warranty insurance since the manufacture warranty is over , if so what should i look for to cover thanks again
I obviously don't know this coach configuration and @Rich W. can help you better. I have the Ventana 40ft, not the LE. They renamed Ventana LE to Kountry Star a few years ago. Newmar can probably find the coach by vin but each coach has a coach number, typically 6 digits that they typically use for referring to your coach.

As to the extended warranty you can search this forum for opinions. My opinion was and is to not do it. Spend the money on a RV inspector in a pre-buy instead and then just "self insure" aka save if needed for anything that comes up. Newmar's are overall good coaches. If you can get any service history on the one you're buying that may help too both Newmar and any chassis service.

-first there is no inverter in the coach since the fridge is propane/electric, ... would this be a big deal for full timers?
I've had a gas/12VDC fridge before. I now have a compressor refrigerant fridge. I'd never want to go back to gas.
-would like to add a inverter to run a few items and tv. hard to do?
I find it hard to imagine a modern day coach without an inverter of some size. Further investigation into size and location. Mine is located between the frame rails up in the ceiling of the lower storage compartment. Not a convenient spot, but constant access is not required. As for installing or upgrading, it is an advanced level install. A lot of electrical knowledge and a lot of crawling around and contortions to get to the spots required.
-the generator has 907 hrs , is this alot
I would guess on the high side of average, but not excessive.
i heard it is better to have more than not enough
is it better to install 6 volt batteries compared to 12 volt more amps with 6 coach now has 3 12 volts
6 volt lead/acid batteries are what is typical. Mine has a tray of 6 batteries. There are more amp/hours available from a 6 volt.
also the roof is not full fiberglass , its not the same on my 5th wheel , its very shinny and smooth (sorry)
i am really impressed with the quality of this entry level model.
this unit is extremely clean with only 35000 KLMS or 21500 miles
Low km/miles for the year
your thoughts would be greatly appreciated mike

mike
I've owned a 2017 Ventana LE 4037 for 5 seasons. It's been a good unit. 1+1/2 bath is great. Comfort drive, you'll like. I tow a 4,000 car and cannot tell it's back there. As mentioned before, budget for tires and probably batteries. Getting caught up on maintenance items can total upwards of a thousand.

Bottom line - think of how you're going to use this type of coach. If the equipment is proper to fulfill those requirements, then give it a go. Trying to modify a coach of this size to meet your requirements is not a good recipe. Keep looking for the equipment that will meet your use. It's out there.

Latest resources

Back