Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Found this on a FB London Aire forum.

Greetings to all, I just learned a very valuable lesson that cost me a bundle but will save you from a huge expense.
All 2018 and older coaches with comfort steer, there is an update from Frieghtliner for around $750.00 installed, this update is a electrical harness that shuts down the power steering pump while the parking brake is on during idle, without it, the pump keeps constant pressure on the system including all power steering hoses… I learned the hard way..$600 tow bill, and $4000.00 to replace the 45 foot hose.. ask your local oasis Frieghtliner dealer about this.

There was also a problem like this starting with new coaches a few year back. If memory serves me correctly I think it was 2019 or 2020 Ventana and Dutch Star models with the 400 or 450 horsepower L9 engine on Freightliner chassis blowing power steering hoses.

If you sat idle with the wheel turned the Comfort drive was attempted to center center the steering wheel causing excessive pressure by the power steering pump to turn the wheel causing the hose to blow.

That fix was also replacing a wiring harness. I can't swear but I think it was actually a recall.

It's concerning now they are including the London Aire.

So we have to spend $750 to fix a design defect?

Greetings to all, I just learned a very valuable lesson that cost me a bundle but will save you from a huge expense.
All 2018 and older coaches with comfort steer, there is an update from Frieghtliner for around $750.00 installed, this update is a electrical harness that shuts down the power steering pump while the parking brake is on during idle, without it, the pump keeps constant pressure on the system including all power steering hoses… I learned the hard way..$600 tow bill, and $4000.00 to replace the 45 foot hose.. ask your local oasis Frieghtliner dealer about this.

Thanks Jim for the info,but I have a question. Does it reduce the pressure on your hoses if you dile down the number on the Comfort Drive during idle.

Thanks Jim for the info,but I have a question. Does it reduce the pressure on your hoses if you dile down the number on the Comfort Drive during idle.
I can answer that, it does not. Because the steering wheel is self-centering and it is the Comfort drive that acheives this, it does not matter where the setting is. It wants to self-center regardless.

The problem happens when you have made a sharp turn and don’t straighten out the wheel manualy yourself. Because of the stationary load on the front wheels, the Comfort drive struggles to recenter the wheel therefore increasing the pressure on the PS system and the time it takes for it to recenter, if it even can.

The preventive measure is, when you are stopped make sure the steering wheel is back to center therefore the Comfort drive is not attempting to recenter the wheel which will take the pressure load off the PS hoses.

So you cannot allow the comfort drive recenter the wheel?

Can someone please reach out to FL as there are so many "phone game" story changes especially on FB with opinions and misinformation. Let's have someone nail this down with the real info please.

I’ll call my FL shop (Sacramento Truck Center) tomorrow and see what they say. It will be interesting to see if different shops have different opinions, versions, stories, etc.

I think it would have to be an OASIS tagged FL shop but my thought was to reach out to FCCC help line or email.

Someone messaged me that they didn't like my comment above. It was not pointed at anyone or doubting anything. My beef lately is all the nonsense I read on Facebook such as tire pressures, how to do this and that and so many "experts" with so much terrible information being given. At the recent Newmar Hoots, as I outlined in my after action report of it, I brought up to the president of Newmar how in my observation that many Newmar owners don't know how to use their coaches. They are complex, complicated, I know I took a long time to figure things out and am still learning, hence recent FWS failure. So I hope no one takes my contribution to this thread, of trying to find the factual information, if needed, personally. I appreciate the private message but I have no problem with being called out in the thread either if you think something I said was incorrect or you need an explanation. We are all trying to sort though this.

Having had my coach 6.5 years with no issue along this line, how many others have also NOT had an issue, how many have? How widespread is it? Is it really a problem? I hate to go throwing electrical fixes in to something that seems to be working right for me at least, cough, PDM replacements when I never had that issue and I got new PDM's twice now.

Discussions are vetting the information, trying to understand it. No one should take anything here personally. It's education!

Latest resources

Back