Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Not sure what I was expecting with Comfort Drive but was underwhelmed with operation. Essentially what I observed on the way home for Nappanee was a basic variable power steering device with a variable amount of wheel centering feature.

Now to be fair, I did not experience steady state cross winds. Mostly gusty conditions and varying direction.

Tested most all levels from 1 - 5. Found 3-4 most comfortable. At level one it was like a 50s Cadillac power steering (tendence to over drive vehicle) and at 5 more truck like, one with lots of caster (self centering).

Maybe expectations were way off. Maybe I have this option all wrong or conditions have not shown its potential.

So far I am not impressed....

Not sure what you were expecting either but, in my experience of driving across windy Kansas and Oklahoma on numerous occasions I am very happy to have it. I will say I was underwhelmed initially too until I had multiple opportunities to test it and get used to the feel. I will also adjust depending on road type, 4-lane vs 2-lane, city driving vs country.

It’s a been a few years since I had a Newmar but I remember it being the difference between a white knuckle experience and a relaxing drive on I-5 in CA when the winds are blowing pretty good. I don’t know what coaches you have owned but it does take time to get comfortable driving an any new coach. The one thing I remember is when comfort drive is engaged, you don’t need to grip the wheel tightly. Just hold the wheel straight with a light touch and let comfort drive do its job. I was amazed once I figured it out. I use to cruise on the 3 setting and adjusted accordingly.

I think the old comfort drive is not the same as the newer model years after TRW ended exclusivity and/or sold to another company which Newmar uses now. I don't know the situation but I have yet to really hear anyone praise comfort drive since that change.

The other possibility is yours isn't working or not working properly. I know there have been issues with it for some, you may want to ask Spartan or some service center at some point to see if it's working as expected or there is a problem.

90% of the time it’s set at 3 and I completely forget I even have the system. On seriously curvy mountain roads I usually drop it to 1-2. When the cross winds are really blowing I might move it to 4-5. I certainly could live without it but for that 10% it’s nice to have for sure.

90% of the time it’s set at 3 and I completely forget I even have the system. On seriously curvy mountain roads I usually drop it to 1-2. When the cross winds are really blowing I might move it to 4-5. I certainly could live without it but for that 10% it’s nice to have for sure.
I have to agree with you that 3 is also my go to number, except in heavy cross winds. I never thought to drop down to 1 or 2 in the curves, but I will try it next time. Thanks

I had rotator cuff surgery 1.5 years ago, after driving all day and my shoulder barked all night, set it to 1 and now pain free after driving, it's a godsend to me, once you experience 20-30mph cross winds, you'll understand

On Freightliner 2020 MA 4569, it really shines when you pass trucks (or they blast past you) when there is a crosswind. Generally in the west and Great Plains I find it to be almost magic for any wind situation. On the 2020 FL it has about 10 settings. Mostly use 5-7. Does take some getting used to letting it do its job, and I know at first I was "playing with it" before I settled into a pattern. My wife pushed for it on this coach as our last 40' FL was taking a toll on my arthritic hands on long drives. She is happier driving too. We both refer to it as 'Lexis-Drive'

So far I am not impressed....
I betcha you'll like it just fine the first time you go to Key West and start getting hit by 45 mph-50 mph side winds up on top of those bridges!

I white knuckled a 40' Phaeton through the tail end of a hurricane on the way to Blue Water Key a couple of years ago. It was not fun. Last year we spent several months in the London Aire, and although the winds were not as bad, I was able to make a reasonable comparison to the way the two rigs handled.

Comfort drive is by far the best asset that I can think of in a Newmar motor coach.

Latest resources

Back