Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tony 68

RVF Regular
Question I have is about legally towing.
The advertised GVWR with the 213rds is 6000lbs.
The sticker on the side reads 7540LBS.
What do I need to tow legally.
Please help.

The title, certificate of origin and sticker on the side should all say the same thing which is likely the 7540 GVWR number. Regardless of what marketing bologna is out there, you need to know real capacity. Beyond that, it would be a good idea to load it up as you would ready to hit the road and drag it across a scale to see where you're at when underway.

Last edited:
agree - weighing your actual unit loaded as you plan to travel is the only way to know how much you are pulling. The axle size will tell you the actual capacity of the trailer. Its unlikely that you have a pair of 3,770lb axles but its quite possible you have a pair of 3,000lb axles (assuming Coachmen Apex), so some verification is a good idea. Also regardless of your axles, you could have tires that carry less (or more) load, so check them too. Always do the math and don’t count on what the manufacturers tell you.

Picture #18 of this 2023 MY ad just barely shows the number 7540. This makes sense as a pair of fully loaded 3500lb axles (quite common) + tongue weight of 540lbs would get you that number. If your question was about the trailer and your tow vehicle, that's a whole other ball of wax that folks here can help with but not without all the specs.

Picture #18 of this 2023 MY ad just barely shows the number 7540. This makes sense as a pair of fully loaded 3500lb axles (quite common) + tongue weight of 540lbs would get you that number. If your question was about the trailer and your tow vehicle, that's a whole other ball of wax that folks here can help with but not without all the specs.

Hadn’t considered the load the hitch can carry but 7540lbs would be dependent on actually having 540lbs of tongue weight. There would only be a minor change if it were lighter (and would probably affect handling) but I’ve just never included that in determining what a trailer can carry. And depending on how its loaded tongue weight could be more - another reason to head to the scales. I like a bit more margin than that but considering its common practice with a 5er I guess it‘s reasonable. And your math works so Im sure thats what they were thinking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, towed with my 23 Tacoma.
but upgrading to a f150.
My fault for not looking at the information on side,

Did it do OK with the Tacoma? You can tow a TT with a greater GVWR than your tow vehicle will allow, you just have to keep an eye on your actual TT GVW.

That's the issue, originally on all of dealers sites the GVWR states 6000lbs.
Max towing for the Tacoma is 6400.
Dry weight around 4200 with out propane or battery.
The f150 is 7400lb GVWR.
Hate to step up to a 3/4 ton.
Trying find out what is legal

Latest resources

Back