Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

30A circuit kaput, then 20A circuit also kaput. I'm next.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Allthatcangowrong

RVF Regular
Gang,

It's been a while since I hollered. That's because I haven't moved my RV much at all since last year, no miles = no problems.

But now that I am at a campground (Wildwood State park, Wading River NY) all the things that mighta gone wrong earlier are now going wrong. Right on schedule! So here's the skinny - I arrived at the campground monday and went to plug in my 30A plug, and it promptly flipped the campground breaker. Not one to take no for an answer, I flipped it back, plugged in again, off it goes. So I break out all the swear words under my breath, and sit there holding a limp electrical cable, not sure what to do next. And then, FLASH of inspiration! I can grab that adaptor doohickey and put it on this 30A cable and see if I can patch into the 20A circuit. I do it, and it WORKS! Clearly I am a genius after all, the IQ tests must have been wrong.

Fast forward 3 days. I switch spots because I decide to extend my stay, and go to plug in my 20A cord, NOPE! Campground breaker flips immediately. I remove the 20A adaptor, and go for the 30A circuit, it flipped off as well. I went inside to look at all the breakers in the RV, they are all on. I flip them all off, then back on. For good measure, and to impress the girlfriend who begins to suspect I have no idea what I am doing, I check all the fuses. They are all fine.

So right now I have an orange extension cord plugged in to the 20A campground circuit, and I have run that through an open window (welcome, my winged friends, please feast upon us), to power some lights, laptop, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions? You have have deduced that I am not an electrician, but I can follow instruction, sort of. Any insight, haikus, or commiseration will be appreciated.

It would help to tell us what type of rv you are discussing.
You might try turning off all the breakers in the coach and turning them on one at a time until the camp breaker pops. This might narrow down your search.

Wonderful idea, thank you. I will shut off all breakers, connect to 30A, and see when it shuts off. Ditto the 20A circuit. Back soon. (This is a 2002 Newmar Kountry Star Class A).

Well, crikey. The power held fine on both the 20 and 30A circuits, and it took some sleuthing but turns out the outlet by the dinette is shorting the campground breaker (but not the RV breaker, somehow). But at least as long as we stay away from that outlet we can keep the lights on and can do away with the orange extension cord. Big thank you to Jerry!

Well, crikey. The power held fine on both the 20 and 30A circuits, and it took some sleuthing but turns out the outlet by the dinette is shorting the campground breaker (but not the RV breaker, somehow). But at least as long as we stay away from that outlet we can keep the lights on and can do away with the orange extension cord. Big thank you to Jerry!
Is the outlet by the dinette a GFCI outlet? If so, you may need to push the re-set button on the front of the outlet.

Something like this has helped me narrow down the problem. By the way...you are a very (creative writer) and funny man. I enjoy reading your post(s).

1655482945511.png

1655482990488.png

Latest resources

Back