3D Printing and RVing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Neal,
I don't understand where you keep in the Ventana all that shait you are buying every day? ??
Doris is the only one I know of, that can compete with you in online purchasing?

Haha, remember I removed my jack knife sofa and installed an updesk which is like a table so the computer printer fits underneath on the left, the 3D printer fits underneath on the right.

IMG_1634.png

Haha, remember I removed my jack knife sofa and installed an updesk which is like a table so the computer printer fits underneath on the left, the 3D printer fits underneath on the right.

Also keep in mind that the slide motor has to lift and push all that weight in and out. I had to replace my controller on the same slide already once.

Between @Neal and a friend of mine in the Seattle area (Lynn), I think I may be losing the battle on avoiding the 3D printing beast! Lynn (a retired federal LEO) has been 3D printing for a year or so. He keeps prodding me to try it. I keep pushing back!

His current project is making "ear protectors" for medical mask wearers. He made some for his daughter (a 911 dispatch supervisor) and his son in-law (a police officer). Between them, they know many of the first responders in the greater Seattle area and word of the ear protectors quickly got around. He has now distributed several hundred to police, fire and medical folks, and the project continues. He says his 3D printer is running 18 hours a day.

Yikes! Do I really need another job?

Hopefully, 3D printing won't work on a Mac...right? Right?

TJ

Also keep in mind that the slide motor has to lift and push all that weight in and out. I had to replace my controller on the same slide already once.

My setup may be equal or less weight than the jack knife sofa. I removed it myself, I know! It sucked :) The weight difference is not a concern, even if heavier by a little, the sum total weight is much much more overall so we're talking fractions of a percentage difference, but interesting thought nonetheless. I'd be more concerned about the FWS and how I pack out the frig!

Between @Neal and a friend of mine in the Seattle area (Lynn), I think I may be losing the battle on avoiding the 3D printing beast! Lynn (a retired federal LEO) has been 3D printing for a year or so. He keeps prodding me to try it. I keep pushing back!

His current project is making "ear protectors" for medical mask wearers. He made some for his daughter (a 911 dispatch supervisor) and his son in-law (a police officer). Between them, they know many of the first responders in the greater Seattle area and word of the ear protectors quickly got around. He has now distributed several hundred to police, fire and medical folks, and the project continues. He says his 3D printer is running 18 hours a day.

Yikes! Do I really need another job?

Hopefully, 3D printing won't work on a Mac...right? Right?

TJ

Sorry TJ, works ideally on a Mac, you will get hooked. It's so much fun to make your own things.

How about making a holder for remotes and glasses and also sleep # controller and add an open top compartment for my hearing aids. The night table is so small if you stacked them would really help. 4 angled slots with flat top open tray for hearing aids.

If you look at the left edge of my desk you'll see the mentos gum and that green piece there holds all of my remotes, pens, etc. I designed that and 3D printed it. Was fun.

@Neal and @redbaron got me into 3d printing about 3 months ago...hardly a day goes by that I’m not designing/printing something...jigs for woodworking projects, hard to find hardware store stuff, bins, projects for neighbors...on and on. One of the best/most fun purchases I’ve made in a long time. Mine is setup under a desk in my office.
14D28B35-4B87-41EC-AE0F-4D8646B98743.jpeg

@BuckyII these are hard to get but appear in stock now. I got two:

These are amazing. You don't put any adhesive stuff on it like hairspray, it holds the print and when cooled down your print slides off. This thing is magic! First layer height has to be right for it to work, tinker as usual.

The best filament in my opinion is Prusament so if you get some of that too and anything else it helps with the shipping charge from Prague. I have too much filament, I admit! Ohy!!!

@Neal , I have one of the textured sheets but hardly use it. I like the smooth surface of the one in the picture. I never have to use the hairspray...use isopropyl alcohol every few prints to clean the surface. The most amazing thing to me about 3D printing is the accuracy...I can tweak the design of two pieces that mesh together by .001" and notice the difference.

For those wondering what would I ever use a 3D printer for...attached is a picture of a small plastic retainer used for keeping an old design sliding door in its track. A neighbor searched every hardware store in Naples looking for several of these with no success. I was able to design this using Fusion 360 in less than 30 minutes and then it took about 15 minutes to print.
IMG_1683.jpg

Latest resources

Back