Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

97 Winnebago - 2 way water heater working only on AC hardly warm.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXbound

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Winnebago
RV Model
Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
The auto igniter does not ignite, but electric works but barely heats, water is luke warm, Is this something I can fix myself or do I need a tech or perhaps a replacement? Thanks

Do you know the brand of water heater?

If the water is only warm, it will be either the thermostat is bad OR the bypass valve is not fully closed. For the gas burner, how long has it not been working and does it make any sound when it tries to light?

If the water is only warm, it will be either the thermostat is bad OR the bypass valve is not fully closed. For the gas burner, how long has it not been working and does it make any sound when it tries to light?
I have to check the bypass valve and I have to double check to see if the igniter makes any sound. Thanks.

The sound that your water heater should make on LP is a tick, tick, tick sound as the spark tries to light the burner.

Have you ever changed your annode rod? Maybe your tank is so covered in lime scale that the heating elements can't heat the water? I noticed your rig was a 1997 so I thought I'd ask. Of course this doesn't have anything to do with the LP side not igniting.

Still waiting on the brand of water heater (WH) - Atwood = no anode rod, Suburban = anode rod.
If you hear clicking and the WH doesn't light, can you light the stove?

Have you ever changed your annode rod? Maybe your tank is so covered in lime scale that the heating elements can't heat the water? I noticed your rig was a 1997 so I thought I'd ask. Of course this doesn't have anything to do with the LP side not igniting.
Not yet as we just bought it this month.

Another suggestion is to disconnect both wires on the element (with the power OFF) and use an OHM meter and see if you have continuity between the terminals and also between each terminal and the tank. It is possible that the element burned and is shorted to ground through the water giving you just a small portion of the element for heat. Long shot, but I did see it once.....

If the water "barely heats" on electric, you likely have one of the following:

- corroded electrical connections to the element that limit amperage
- heavy sludge in the bottom of the WH tank that is insulating the heating element from the water
- a failing electric heating element (WH elements are usually dual elements and one has failed)
- a bad or improperly set thermostat

In a 23-year-old coach, you may have all four issues. Water heaters only last so long and I'm thinking yours has reached the end of its life; it is time for a new one.

Latest resources

Back