• Commercial/Vendors welcome

A day from hell

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Reverse: been there and done that nightmare. My first big trip in 2017 with passport America Rockies tour. Sadly again input error. Wrong address. I went down a road that turned into a dirt road. Narrow of course and barely going under overhead lines. New to driving a Class A and had no choice than backing up a 1/4 mile. Knocking on a door asking if I could use their driveway to turn around but I couldn’t maneuver into it. A little further was an intersection. It was miserable. That 34 day adventure had multiple newbie experiences which were not very enjoyable.
If it makes you feel any better, I recently had to reverse a road uphill. A bridge had very recently been built in the road and the GPS didn’t know it was there. 12-tons. Luckily it was a straight road and while I was reversing uphill, it was maybe only a 2-2.5% grade at its worst so it wasn’t hard and it was maybe 2.5 times wider than that hiking trail you were on. Still, I learned a lesson that day.

keep your cool and go with it as best you can. That’s all we can do when driving these monsters.

I wouldn
A 1 minute segment from my dashcam of me getting out of the road area I should never have been on. Two way road, some shoulders were eroded and dropped off (not in this video). Joy...

I gotta show this to my husband ? I do 90% of the driving because I seem to have a better ‘feel’ or spatial sense? I just wouldn’t take a rig on that road without doing a ‘toad run’ first...but even I have gotten us into unhook-toad-turn-around situations. I remember one time, I literally had to do - don’t know the slang for it- ....but one inch forward, turn wheel, one inch back, turn wheel... about 20 times repeat.

I wouldn

I gotta show this to my husband ? I do 90% of the driving because I seem to have a better ‘feel’ or spatial sense? I just wouldn’t take a rig on that road without doing a ‘toad run’ first...but I’ve been overconfident and gotten us into unhook-toad-turn-around situations. I remember one time, I literally had to do - don’t know the slang for it- ....but one inch forward, turn wheel, one inch back, turn wheel... about 20 times repeat. But I never damage the rig.

@bpaikman you mean one of these?
1604149012725.gif

The only thing i can add is its too bad @Neal didn't have the kayak strapped to the roof of the ventessex as your desire to dispose of it might have come true.

If it was a two seater Elli and I may have ridden it down the side of the mountain and set fire...well, never mind...

How did your getaway go once you arrived and got settled in? Did you stay the entire planned time? How was it getting out?

How did your getaway go once you arrived and got settled in? Did you stay the entire planned time? How was it getting out?
I didn't enjoy it so I left a week early and came home. I knew I would have to disconnect at the one u-turn going down the mountain, so that did happen, 10mi on the gravel road uneventful, then highway and smooth travel.

Latest resources

Back