RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CRV
We just arrived in Las Vegas and after setting up in 100F turned on two of the 3 AC’s. Soon after , #1 (forward) AC started making thumping noise.
It was still making cold air, but the noise was no good, so I turned it off.
I’m suspecting the blower or the fan? Trouble is that I don’t have a ladder to get on the roof. Will try to figure it out tomorrow.
It never ends.......

Did the noise start as soon as you turned the unit on? Then I would look at the fan and blower wheel to see if there is something causing an imbalance. Otherwise I am at a loss as to why it would thump, unless for some reason the drain is holding a little bit of water and then the blower forces an air bubble out once in a while. Maybe the campground or a fellow camper has a ladder you can borrow?

@Buly I can attest to the work that NIRVC does on Newmars in case you are not able to resolve yourself. They might be able to squeeze you in if needed. You can ask for Jonathan Fisher and tell him I sent you.

Did the noise start as soon as you turned the unit on? Then I would look at the fan and blower wheel to see if there is something causing an imbalance. Otherwise I am at a loss as to why it would thump, unless for some reason the drain is holding a little bit of water and then the blower forces an air bubble out once in a while. Maybe the campground or a fellow camper has a ladder you can borrow?
It started after about two hours of working fine.
Few days ago it was doing it on and off, but not very loud

Thank you Sheridan. We called and left a message for him. Mentioned your name too. Have not heard back anything yet.

I would get on the roof and pop the cover off and see what you can visually first. Then consider taking it in for service.

Not a good time of year in LV to call on an A/C man. If the compressor is overheating and kicking the thermal switch, It may need replacement or a charge. An IR thermometer may tell you a lot.

We just heard from J. Fisher NIRVC. He told us that most likely it I’d the blower motor, as I suspected. But he said that the lead time for parts is 8 weeks ?. Looks like they come on the “ Slow boat from China”?
Most likely we will make do on the other two AC’s and I will do it when we get back to FL.
Hope another one does not bite the dust....

If you can get on the roof you can get the model number off the motor and order the motor and run capacitor from Amazon. I did that and it was a simple changeout. Had the parts in about a week also.

If you can get on the roof you can get the model number off the motor and order the motor and run capacitor from Amazon. I did that and it was a simple changeout. Had the parts in about a week also.
Thank you Gronk. Funny thing is at the same moment you posted I opened eBay app and there are many Dometic parts.
I will see if I can borrow a ladder, or jus buy one at Home Depor?

Latest resources

Back