AC shore power inverter question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Ames, magna both sell an inverter/charger

And a boatload more, that's only the beginning.

Selling them and being common is not the same. When discussing such things, it has to be made clear what the terminology is and what is being discussed.

Selling them and being common is not the same. When discussing such things, it has to be made clear what the terminology is and what is being discussed.
It is easy because the transformer needed is already in the inverter. So is the transfer switch. They are:
Expensive
Heavy
Industrial grade
Last almost 10 times as long.

I won't use anything else.

I have been in RV's up to $500,000 and I have not seen one yet. Been in new expensive 5th wheels almost everyday and I haT
Hello All!

We purchased a 2019 RoadTrek Zion and on our first trip with the RV. I have a question that I tried searching online and cannot find an answer anywhere. So, hoping my fellow RoadTrek’kers can help.

We are plugged into 30 amp shore power service at our campground, but the only way we are able to run the A/C is if we have the inverter turned on. Is that correct in that we need to have the inverter on to run the A/C when plugged into shore power?

From what I am reading everywhere and what our dealer told us. The only time you should need to have the inverter turned on is if using the microwave or toaster type appliance while traveling and/or not plugged into shore power.

I’m confused, please help.

Thank you,
KJ2019RoadTrekZion
I just purchased a 2019 Zion. Apparently the 115 power goes thru the inverter.
I just joined to find out about the electrical system in my Roadtrek. My 2019 Zion has a Xantrex Inverter/charger unit which is both a converter and charger. I have not used it yet and there are electrical issues I need to take care of. By the electrical diagram I attached it would seem that you might need to turn on the inverter. I am on a trip and will not be home for a month or two so I will be following this thread. There is also Ecotrek-free Roadtrek on facebook, if I can say that here.

Attachments

• KS2-LFP200-VEHICLE WIRING A1.pdf
    218.3 KB · Views: 22
A convertor is a charger, it is the inverter part we are having a jolly discussion about. Nothing unusual about a convertor that charges a battery. They all do.

I have been in RV's up to $500,000 and I have not seen one yet. Been in new expensive 5th wheels almost everyday and I have not seen one yet.......and I stand by my statement as Inverters....invert. Not convert.
Come on over I can let you touch my Magnum Energy inverter converter charger. in my Newmar Mountain Aire.
Bill

I don't doubt or deny they exist. They are not the norm and that needed to be made clear when discussing what the OP had. He did not state he had a dual purpose unit and many people are just plain wrong about what they DO have. Hard to give opinions without having the facts.

I have worked on everything from DC3s to nuclear submarines and missiles. The Roadtrek I just bought has an Inverter/charger. It is the first one I have seen and I was confused. The salesman did not have a clue. So confusion is understandable. Anyone know how to find reliable lithium ion batteries for a Roadtrek?

btw, The first inverter I used was a 60 cycle motor with a gearbox to reduce the rpm to run a 50 cycle generator. The old days!

Be well everyone.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back