Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Hello, my name is Neal, and today I had a relapse....

Last winter during my fun trip out west I installed a Dometic CF-80 cooler and slideout tray to my passenger side forward basement. This process involved adding a 120V run and outlet for the cooler. Love the cooler, great to have even with having to reimagine storage. I noticed in my fellow Newmar owners' coaches that Newmar dual powers the cooler with both 120V and 12V lines. Dometic automatically prioritizes the 120V and it if fails 12V will takeover. While I never turn off my inverter it would be in a boondocking scenario where I'd kill the inverter to max the life of the batteries if needed or a failure scenario.

Having recently (when in AZ last winter) made a nice wiring modification by bringing a 12V fuse box to the passenger side in the bay forward of the pegboard adding 12V runs is easy. I'm sure I have a post on the forum somewhere but it was easy to add a 12V 40A self resetting breaker behind the cord reel wired into the side of the 12V relay controlled by the salesman switch, then use a heavy gauge wire (8 I think it was, or 10) to then run to a 6 way blade fuse box for 12V connections. Today I added 2 x 12V sockets, one forward of the pegboard bay that I'll use with the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett to avoid the need for the converter from 120V to 12V as the grill is 12V powered, and one in the Dometic cooler bay to give it the 12V fallback. Simple mod just requiring the wire runs to the 6 way fuse box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0895Y44P2/?tag=rvf01-20

12v-receptacles.png fusebox.png

IMG_2065.png

IMG_2064.png

@Neal ... what caught my eye was the "Pest Reject" unit. Does that seem to work? I have not heard of them before.

Is one (1) enough to protect the entire coach under bays and inside the coach as well?

FLSteve

I've had no issues in 3 years so they must work. It came in a set of six so I have one in the left aft, bay forward of pegboard, master bath behind sink, behind driver seat, over kitchen sink outlet, and wherever else.

we added a 12v Power Werx distribution box in our basement. As most all of my 12v equipment has been converted to Power Werx Power Pole connectors it is very handy. Powerpole Power Distribution | Powerwerx

Latest resources

Back