Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice for a novice: What is the best gun to carry in an RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If you are seriously considering acquiring a weapon for self defense, I would encourage you to read some of the writings of Massad Ayoob. He is well respected as an expert witness in self defense litigation. As as an instructor & trainer in the use of firearms, he's top notch.
Let me pose this question to you............. You are in your RV, you have been slowed to a stop on the road by an unruly crowd, perhaps you are settled in at the RV park for a good night's sleep & there is a disturbance outside that frightens your, or any other circumstance where you feel you might need to defend your self with the use of deadly force. How quickly will you be able to get to the weapon to defend yourself when it's under the fold-up part of the bed?
I think you know the answer to that question as well as I do.

I need to keep better track of stuff. Went and looked at ammo stash, I have more .45 than I do 9mm!
Went through one of the safes looking to see how many mags I had for my glock 30 and found 2 beretta single stack 9mm mags I had no idea what they were for. Didn't remember ever owning a beretta.
Finally remembered I had a Nano and it's what I traded for the glock 30. Messaged the guy he could have the mags if he wanted them and still had the Nano, but since it was 7 years ago he probably won't respond.

I absolutely hated that Beretta Nano, maybe that's why I didn't remember it at first.

Since this thread has been brought back to life, did you acquire a gun and if so what, or did you decide to pass on getting one.
We decided the proper purchase of a gun would require more training and planning than we were prepared to do and could possibly create more problems than it would solve...so we bought a cannister of Bear Spray that was easy to keep handy in the top drawer of the front consol. We have since sold the RV and never did purchase a gun.

We decided the proper purchase of a gun would require more training and planning than we were prepared to do and could possibly create more problems than it would solve...so we bought a cannister of Bear Spray that was easy to keep handy in the top drawer of the front consol. We have since sold the RV and never did purchase a gun.
Thanks for the update. Any plans to purchase another RV?

BuckyII,
Acquiring a firearm for self defense is not something that should be taken likely. Your reply seems to suggest you carefully considered the pro & cons of acquiring a firearm for self defense & decided against it. Kudo's to you.
Quality training is not inexpensive. IMHO, in addition to how to effectively use a hand gun/long gun in a self defense encounter, the training should delve into the law as it applies to the use of 'deadly force' as well as the emotional and financial impacts if the situation goes bad.
Maintaining a certain level of proficiency with your firearm of choice requires a certain amount of 'range time', & possibly participating in some of the recognized 'shooting sports' organizations. This can be difficult to do in these times with the current availability/expense of ammunition.
DISCLAIMER - I am not against individuals owning firearms, I am somewhat concerned a lot of people are acquiring firearms and are not learning how to properly use them.

Thanks for the update. Any plans to purchase another RV?
@ManlyMan We do not plan to purchase another RV. We had our coach for 4 years, traveled during the summers for a total of about 11 months and covered 35,000 miles. It was a great experience...we were able to visit family, friends, meet people and see this wonderful country while comfortably traveling with our dog(s). No regrets and no regrets about selling.

Latest resources

Back