Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice for a novice: What is the best gun to carry in an RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
.380s are a great choice as well. Unless you’re trying to take down someone that is jacked up on some stimulant, the shock of being shot will stop most people with the very first round.

I don't carry but shotgun is very effective in short range situations. Like the idea of racking a pump gun like an 870 it because it's a unique sound and that alone will scare off people. A sawed off shotgun is even better in close range situations. Isn't 26 inches total length ok in most states???

I don't carry but shotgun is very effective in short range situations. Like the idea of racking a pump gun like an 870 it because it's a unique sound and that alone will scare off people. A sawed off shotgun is even better in close range situations. Isn't 26 inches total length ok in most states???

Yes, 26 inches overall but the barrel can't be less than 18 inches in length either.

I recently had one of my shotgun barrels cut down. The shop only cuts them to 18.25" and no less. They want to make sure they stay above 18".

A pump shotgun equipped with a short barrel, plug removed and loaded with at least #4 shot is a lethal home defense weapon IMHO even for the beginner. I have a second long barrel for the same shotgun that has a scope mounted on it. When loaded with slugs the same shotgun can take the place of a rifle, more or less.

Well over the years it appears that something small and reliable is the preference. Semi autos are nice, there are times when you want a basic revolver, such as when you might be shooting from a jacket pocket or other place where the action will jam. If you review video of a shooting how many times does the gun jam. There are many examples of this. All that said.
A S&W model 642 is light, reliable, does not typically snag on clothing and goes bang every time model 642.jpg.

Since this is the case, I urge you to take some time to learn about the ramifications of owning and, potentially, using one for self-defense.

For starters, consider whether you are psychologically willing and able to take a life. That's the bottom line when having a firearm for self-defense purposes. You hope to never be faced with that prospect, but if you are not prepared to do so without hesitation when the situation arises, look for other alternatives. It is a sobering thought, but one that needs to be faced honestly.

Then, you will need both training and regular practice to ensure that when called upon to use your firearm, you can do so effectively. Once the decision is made to use a firearm, the objective is to end the threat quickly and efficiently. I know that sounds clinical, but when you are in that situation, YOUR life depends on it.

And, not only are there legal ramifications to buying and possessing a firearm (especially a handgun), but there can be very serious ramifications to using it, even for self-defense. As others have said, laws vary widely between states and you had better be well-versed on the laws of the state where you might be called upon to use a firearm in self-defense. Unfortunately, defending yourself can extract a pretty serious price if you violate state firearms laws in doing so.

Not trying to deter you from buying a firearm, just suggesting that there is more to it than is commonly thought.

TJ
Completely agree. To add to this. I suggest never having owning a firearm you start with a long gun. One they are MUCH LESS regulated in most states (Again each state has its own web of laws to ensnare you for trying to defend your life) Traveling with a long gun most the time unloaded and out of reach is good enough. Using a long gun in self defense is usually easier for beginners as the bullet travels down a nice long 16inch barrel and in return increases the accuracy over a 3"-5" handgun barrel. That is not to say someone can not become proficient enough to use a handgun at range however it takes lots of practice and lots of ammo which is extremely hard to come by right now. With that being said I would suggest a shot gun to you until the market will allow you the means to practice enough to become proficient with a handgun. Shotgun shells are still relatively cheap and available. I highly recommend seeking a self defense course with your firearm, not one of the safety classes I mean a REAL course where you are at a range all day doing different drills and exercises. They are pricey the one I went to was about $400 and we needed a box of 500 rounds for both the Rifle and the Handgun. It was WELL worth the time and effort and I would love to take more of them but continue to do some of the drills on my own. Training will be your life safer, the tool will give you an advantage ONLY if you know how to properly use it.

If a long gun is the most reasonable choice, swinging a long gun in tight quarters can be an issue.
Here would be my recommendation. Mossberg 590 Shockwave.
Tremendous power is a relative small, easily managed package. A side benefit is it is intimidating, if your into that sort of thing.

An issue here is after the first round or two in a camper, you will effectively be temporarily deaf (a problem if law enforcement arrives, and you are instructed to follow directives) also choking on residual powder emissions. The camper air will be toxic after a gun battle. This all requires a plan.

Last edited:
PLEASE do not do this. If you are encountering a threat you should not be racking the shotgun to scare them away. I know many people will say this is a good idea but IMO entering an encounter without your weapon being ready to go is a bad idea that not only CAN but DOES lead to your death. Yes it only takes a second to rack the slide, it also takes less time for someone to pull the trigger on you first because the criminals firearm was ready to go. The barrel must be 18" for shotguns and 16" for Rifles. The OAL of an SBS/SBR must be 26". Not sure why the different barrel lengths when the OAL is the same, stupid laws made by stupid people.

EDIT* Forgot about MD being extra stupid. OAL needs to be 29" in this state. May have other states with the same laws but I know for MD it was longer than the Feds.

Well over the years it appears that something small and reliable is the preference. Semi autos are nice, there are times when you want a basic revolver, such as when you might be shooting from a jacket pocket or other place where the action will jam. If you review video of a shooting how many times does the gun jam. There are many examples of this. All that said.
A S&W model 642 is light, reliable, does not typically snag on clothing and goes bang every timeView attachment 5160.
A S&W J-Frame is on my wishlist. Right now I carry the Shield (out of state cause MD is extra stupid with CCWs too)

My wife got this M&P EZ 380. I carry a M&P Shield 9mm. The EZ stands for easy slide as she has trouble pulling the slide on mine.

Latest resources

Back