Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice for a novice: What is the best gun to carry in an RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Oh while looking up the Barrel lengths I found this one that I have shot before and absolutely LOVED. Its on my wishlist as well its a pretty penny, but would take the issue of "long gun in short spaces" out of the equation which could very well be a literal life saver. They have a single tube that is cheaper, I only shot the double tube and it was smooth and very manageable recoil for the 12ga. Shotguns | KSG Tactical Shotgun | Downward Shell Ejection | KelTec Keltec KSG.jpg

EDIT* This is NOT AN NFA item and should be cash and carry.

I just put together my kit pistol. Very compact only 22” overall.
5A9DF7EA-0E44-4E52-87CD-E9BCF15C26BF.jpeg

Make sure to keep tabs on any laws banning or requiring a Class III for braces, They are pushing for it, if it become law you'll have to extend it or pay the $200 stamp and jump through all the hoops. Also wonder how they would go about the process as it would be illegal to have it without the paperwork and when I did my SBR the wait was a little over a year and a few months. Than I was able to build it but not before the paperwork. The Pistol is legal as of currently I really was hoping we were going the other direction in this country by now. Towards more freedom not more money to the government and seeking permissions.

signal-2021-05-04-221911.jpeg
The SBR in 300BLK I'm going to get a second barrel for it so I can also fire 556 out of it. Yes I'm also aware you CAN fire a 300BLK in a 556 Chamber... ONCE. So if you plan on going that route you will want separate mags marked clearly (Wrap tape, color change them, Fill out the little ID Blocks) Something to make sure you don't get them mixed up. It has happened before not with mine but with others.

Than I will swap it for one of my standard ones ?
?
A2B803C0-A7E1-4AEB-B149-0412F031C5CB.jpeg

MD banned AK's before I could build one sadly. I'm very much an equal opportunity gun owner I never understood the mind set of one or the other I've always been why not both? lol

In my opinion the hardest part of self defense is the mental preparedness. This and practice is what is needed to survive an armed conflict. Some good points are in this short read:

Bumping an old thread.
I think I'm switching up my self defense items for this year's Florida trip.
Last year I took a glock 26 and a glock 19. 350 rounds of 9mm in case I wanted to go to the range. 26 was in the top drawer of the console next to driver's seat of rv, 19 in bedroom nightstand. 2 extra loaded magazines for each.

Under the bed I had an ACR with aimpoint and a Daniel Defense mk18 10.3" ar pistol with an eotech. 1,000 rounds of 5.56x45 in the closet. ACR isn't my favorite rifle but it has a folding stock so it fits good under the bed. Around 8 loaded magazines.

No ar pistol this year. Since our ATF overlords are going to make their ar pistol determination in December and I'll be gone from my home state of IL, I'm taking my ar pistols apart and leaving them at home. If they decide I have to sbr it, well I won't be in IL and able to jump through all the IL hoops to get that done. I guess I'll take my ACR again, not sure about a 2nd ar or if I'll even take a 2nd one.

I've switched my home nightstand pistol to my old XD .45 with thumb safety and light, I think I'll use that as my nightstand gun in the rv. XDS .45 in pocket holster in front console. XDS .45 is very handy to throw in pocket with pocket holster in case you have to leave the rv at night for some reason. Have to check on my .45 ammo stash. I've got lots of 9mm, not sure about .45.

The thread regarding favorite handguns and the events taking place in our country peeked my interest in possibly starting to carry a gun on our trips. Neither my wife nor I have ever owned a gun. There are probably other members here in a similar situation...

Today I visited 2 local gun shops hoping they might provide an education and steer me towards an intelligent purchase decision...that didn't work. I did observe that gun shops are very busy these days mostly serving customers who already know what they are looking for. I'm confident the trusty (or is it crusty?) members here can steer us novices in the right direction.

Some questions...
- Is there an easy answer to the best starter gun for a novice to carry in an RV for self-defense?
- Is there a gun that can be carried in all 50 states?
- Do I need a permit? What kind?
- Where in the RV is the best place to keep it? I'm thinking under the fold-up part of the bed?
- Any other thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Thanks
I prefer a pump shotgun with the shortest legal barrel. I don't know of any states that you can't carry it within your RV. You can also take it to Canada by filling out a simple form. Now if you want to carry a pistol that is a whole different story.

Latest resources

Back