Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice for a novice: What is the best gun to carry in an RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks @Jim for putting this post back on the radar! A few years back I started thinking about unsettling times(and I thought they were bad then). I considered whether I would try to defend our home and WE decided we would not. Part of the joy of RVing for us is getting away from the problems in the city. We had more theft and other problems in town than we have with rural settings.

Back a few years we invited a friends to join us in one of our favorite spots. He stayed the night and told me they felt safer in an RV resort in town. When we called him to arrange another meet, he informed me that there bicycles were stolen that night.

It is not uncommon to feel vulnerable when new to something different. We all calm down with time, but guns although useful are not the answer in most cases.

Yes I have a couple rifles that I used to protect livestock. No I would not use them to protect from man. And no I will not sell them, Mostly because I would wonder what was on the mind of the one I was selling them to.

There is no best gun for an RV in my opinion. Being in an RV is irrelevant. The best gun is the one you are most comfortable with, can shoot accurately and reliably - and when those two criteria can’t be met in a circumstance when you need one, then the best gun is the one you have.

Link didn't work, antenna issues?
Sorry, probably password protected. I’ll download it and upload it to the forum.

@Neal, I tried to upload the video to the forum but got an error. So I made a clean link to it. Hopefully this will work.

New video by Squerly

Your actual question is about personal protection.

1. Do not put yourself in a situation where you are in jeopardy and will have to defend yourself.
2. When possible retreat. Forget about stand your ground laws. If you can retreat and take yourself out of danger, do so.
3. Consider non-lethal force, Freon horn to draw attention, bear spray, there are pocket size of both on the market.

Learn the law regarding use of force, especially deadly force.

Generally, under the law, someone has to have the ability and opportunity and actually places you in jeopardy of great bodily harm or death before you can use force.

As far as a personal carry or a carry in your vehicle. Keep that information to yourself, no one needs to know.

Any statement you make in person or online should reflect responsible firearm ownership and use.

If you own a gun, going to the range a couple times a year is a good habit. Being familiar with handeling, loading, unloading and the use of your firearm will make you more confident and reduces the chances of an accidental discharge.

The thread regarding favorite handguns and the events taking place in our country peeked my interest in possibly starting to carry a gun on our trips. Neither my wife nor I have ever owned a gun. There are probably other members here in a similar situation...

Today I visited 2 local gun shops hoping they might provide an education and steer me towards an intelligent purchase decision...that didn't work. I did observe that gun shops are very busy these days mostly serving customers who already know what they are looking for. I'm confident the trusty (or is it crusty?) members here can steer us novices in the right direction.

Some questions...
- Is there an easy answer to the best starter gun for a novice to carry in an RV for self-defense?
For defense of yourself/family in your motorhome a revolver is a good choice. Revolvers are the most dependable of firearms.
- Is there a gun that can be carried in all 50 states?
Gun laws are constantly being changed so generally speaking a shotgun would be the best choice for traveling in an RV, especially in California.
- Do I need a permit? What kind?
For travel with a handgun you need to check the laws of each state you will be traveling in. Again, a shotgun is a good choice for travel with no permit required.
- Where in the RV is the best place to keep it? I'm thinking under the fold-up part of the bed?
When I have a handgun with me I keep it in a drawer readily accessible. When I have my shotgun it’s in the closet and easy to reach. Under the bed would be my last choice. If you travel with children always have the weapon unloaded and locked up.
- Any other thoughts/ideas appreciated.
Never give police permission to enter your RV/Home. Remember, your RV is your home regardless of whether you are a full-timer or not.

What is getting lost in all the rhetoric is the positive contribution MOST police officers make to their communities. Our grandson is a police officer in a small community in Eastern Washington.

The night-before-last, he responded to a call regarding a 10-month-old child that was not breathing. He performed CPR until paramedics arrived. Sadly, the child could not be revived.

Our grandson was saddened that his efforts, and those of the paramedics, was not successful, but proud that he tried to save this child. Losing the battle was an emotional experience for him, but a part of the job he has chosen to do.

The point here is that much of police work does not involve confrontations and arresting people. Responding to emergencies and providing critical life-support is also part of the job. That seems to have been forgotten in the movement to "defund the police."

TJ
My oldest is a Deputy and had a similar experience two weeks ago. Parents left the baby alone(sick) for 3 hours. Those are the calls that bother my son the most.

Might I suggest y'all read some of Mas Ayoob's books on the use of firearms in self defense. All are readily available from Amazon.
If you are serious about carrying a firearm, this class is worth every penny. There are others of course.
The requirements to purchase a handgun vary from state to state. The laws regarding the carrying of a firearm (be it long gun or hand gun) vary from state to state, some local governments within a state have 'gun control' ordinances to contend with. It's your responsibility to know/adhere to them. If you want to carry a handgun, it is probably a good idea to acquire a concealed carry permit for the state of your domicile. If you have a concealed carry permit, be aware of your state's reciprocal agreements with other states. Chances are, your concealed carry permit is tied to your driver's license and/or vehicle registration.

Latest resources

Back