Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice for a novice: What is the best gun to carry in an RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Again, thanks to everyone for their time spent expressing well thought out suggestions and opinions. After reading all the comments, my wife has a new appreciation for the value of RVForums.com and the knowledge of its members.

All of these comments have been most helpful. After reading them and discussing with my wife, we've concluded that the acquisition of a gun for self defense by novices like ourselves must not be an impulse purchase. To do this correctly, we need to follow a well thought-out plan as covered in the comments above. Getting a gun now, prior to our trip in 10 days, could very well lead to more stress than it relieves as @Neal suggests. In the short term, we may opt for some other form of self defense.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I carry a Governor by S&W that shoots 45 Auto, 45 Long Colt, and 410 Shotgun rounds. I fear that shooting a standard round could exit my coach and hit an innocent bystander. I researched rounds that claim they won't penetrate walls but wasn't happy with the result that "I" got. I currently load 410 Self Defence rounds that contain 3 metal disk and 12 steel BBs. I found at 40 feet the disk pattern in about 6 inch circle and BBS spread is about 4 feet wide. I don't carry and put the gun in the bedroom where when the slide is closed it restricts access.

Very interesting @BuckyII. As someone who was born with a pistol in his hand, I don't believe I've met anyone who has gone through their entire life without owning a gun. But nothing wrong with that by any means.

If there is anything for me to contribute to this conversation, it's "hearing protection"! When you decide on the proper firearm and you are becoming proficient with it, be sure to bring along some good ear muffs. When I was younger, we would hunt all the time without taking that precaution, and today I'm feeling the effects.

Good luck with this purchase.

If there is anything for me to contribute to this conversation, it's "hearing protection"! When you decide on the proper firearm and you are becoming proficient with it, be sure to bring along some good ear muffs. When I was younger, we would hunt all the time without taking that precaution, and today I'm feeling the effects.
What? Huh? What was that?

That is excellent advice. Having grown up in a time when hearing protection was almost unheard of except, maybe, in some heavy industrial situations, I now wear hearing aids. The first 20 years of my hunting and competitive shooting was done without hearing protection. By the time I figured it out, I was well on the way to significant hearing loss. Fortunately, I have been able to preserve the remaining hearing I have by using the best available hearing protection.

If you are around loud noise of any kind...including loud music...take the proper precautions. You will appreciate it in later years.

TJ

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with TJ. If you do choose to take the path of owning a firearm you might consider insurance designed specifically for your protection. If you happen to be forced into a situation of self defense, even if legal and justified, attorney fees mount quickly. And if you are on the road, who do you call?

You might consider one of these;

Excellent points. I personally carry USCCA for wife and myself but there are other viable options. Some important factors to consider are will you be assigned a lawyer or can you select your own and will you be required to pay for your defense up front and be reimbursed or will insurance pay straight away.

Whatever firearm a beginner starts with I would encourage them to practice, practice, practice....and then practice some more.

And with today's current situation, even if you legally use your firearm to protect yourself that doesn't necessary mean that you will not be charged with a criminal offense. Unfortunately, if you get charged could depend on your race and/or the race of the person who initially attacked you.

I just returned to my home department (retired LEO) this morning to complete my annual Retiree Firearm Qualification shoot. It was very sad talking with a couple Troopers about current events and how it is effecting them.

I just returned to my home department (retired LEO) this morning to complete my annual Retiree Firearm Qualification shoot. It was very sad talking with a couple Troopers about current events and how it is effecting them.
Yes, very sad. Where are the marches supporting them?

What is getting lost in all the rhetoric is the positive contribution MOST police officers make to their communities. Our grandson is a police officer in a small community in Eastern Washington.

The night-before-last, he responded to a call regarding a 10-month-old child that was not breathing. He performed CPR until paramedics arrived. Sadly, the child could not be revived.

Our grandson was saddened that his efforts, and those of the paramedics, was not successful, but proud that he tried to save this child. Losing the battle was an emotional experience for him, but a part of the job he has chosen to do.

The point here is that much of police work does not involve confrontations and arresting people. Responding to emergencies and providing critical life-support is also part of the job. That seems to have been forgotten in the movement to "defund the police."

TJ

?

Advice for a novice: What is the best gun to carry in an RV?

Responding to emergencies and providing critical life-support is also part of the job. That seems to have been forgotten in the movement to "defund the police."

TJ
You make an excellent point, TJ. My nephew is a Texas Game Warden. He was the first on the scene of a multi-car/truck highway accident and was unable to save a person before the ambulance arrived. He felt strongly enough about it that he joined the Army Reserve and later became a combat medic. Most recently, he just returned to Texas from Covid-19 duty in the Boston area.

Latest resources

Back