Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Another Thetford Sani-con dead!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
So why don't you just build your own? From what I can tell, a "Sani-Con" is just a macerator with hose and fittings already attached and a plug. Then again, I'm pretty sure everyone in the RV world has more money than I do.

I have an inline marine macerator on the bus and a "portable" one for the truck camper (I plug it into a 12v plug I ran from the battery). They can both "run dry" for a bit without damage. I've not needed to use the one on the truck camper other than the "test" dump. I have a flat "trash pump" hose for it.

Last edited:
If I made my own it would not end well! Meet and greet soon after...my site.

I use a "dry bag" to at least store the attachment. The hose goes in and out by itself using a vacuum.

For the frugal among us, here is a DYI macerator setup. Good idea for moving waste to a sewer clean out at a significant distance away.

Or a factiry made solution

Learn something u knew all along, but didn't!!! Thanks for that Joe!!!

Used masorators for years, the failure for most is they don't like to run dry!!! Knowing that, mine never runs dry. Most of my friends replace 2 to my 1. Next time I'm gonna try the disposal!!!

The last macerator I bought came from Amazon for $60 (8/2021) along with a bayonet-to-hard pipe adapter plus a few parts from Home Depot and I still had well under $100 invested in the set up. We were in a hurry to get it put together for a trip back east. I thought I was going to have to dump into the cleanout trap at my mom's house. I forgot that there was a cleanout trap on an unused septic system on her property. Silly me... we used to have the old Class C hooked up to it before we left to come out here. How could I forget that? A box of Ridex to wake up the septic tank and we were good to go. Just dumped with the regular sewer hose. Maybe I will add a power pole up there and just park the truck camper there rather than string an extension cord.

Here is some practical experience with temporary macerators. NOTE no gloves...

I noticed also that he doesn't care if the impeller runs dry. Almost guaranteed he will get short life out of it.

You know my motto "share your stupidity so others can learn"

So today I decided to get this Sani-con situation rectified as the new $475 unit (plus shipping) arrived earlier than expected (next day after ordering with UPS 3 day shipping selected). I did check with a voltmeter but I checked power coming to the latching relay (like used with a water pump controller) as that is how I control my sani-con from the wet bay and also within the coach. I even tried a spare controller and that did not fix the situation. When I turned the switch ON to open the relay for power to the sani-con I could hear a click. I'm guessing now relays shouldn't be "clicking" as I don't recall it in the past.

So yeah, I wired up the new sani-con pump, no big deal, 3 twist connections for initial test and NOTHING. There goes $500 as usual.

The installer (cough: self) did a great job mounting the relay behind the wet bay panel to not be accessed with the wet bay panel mounted. Yeah, I know! However, I suspected a bad relay so a new one is in the mailroom but it's not happening this trip, I have one week left, I'm done for now.

So I figured I'll wire up the switch that comes with sani-con as it can drop inline like what I wired up with the relay which is the switch I use, so I'll use the included switch. Yep, it works as expected, actually better than expected. It seems louder and more powerful so I have an electrical issue with my relay setup regardless. I need to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to wire up a relay again. For now though I can drive sani-con if pump is needed (bypass works fine) using the temp switch inline.

I probably won't ask to return this turbo 400S and keep it as a spare. If anyone wants a new unused sani-con turbo 400S PM me and we'll figure something out.

Always learning, through my wallet!

Well, I guess the planets aligned for me for once and I got lucky. I used my DEPSTECH Wi-Fi borescope tool to peek behind the wet bay panel and find where I put the relay. Looks like I wasn't so doopid after all, I put it behind the shower panel that is easily removable.

IMG_5250.JPG

I went to Lowes to see if they had relays and as I expected, it's more of an auto part than a home part so fortunately an Auto Zone was across street and they had one of the exact item I needed. My luck continues as the relay I install was one just like what I bought that has a removable harness with the wires that connects to the relay so it was a plug and play swap out and issue resolved. Bad on me for not doing enough diagnostics ahead of time and paying the big bucks for my new spare sani-con, which I may list in the Classifieds section. All is working great.

Glad to have good tools on board such as good crimpers, handy wire stripper tool, butt connectors, and a heat gun.

Amazon product ASIN B07MV6X4M4
Amazon product ASIN B078S5QMFG
Amazon product ASIN B01018CX46
Amazon product ASIN B0195VXA10
Amazon product ASIN B07Q3JJRY8

Latest resources

Back