Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Lil'Skeet

RVF Regular
New to RVing. This is my second post on here. About to get forced into full-time living in a camper. Have a wife and two kids. One year old and a 3-year-old. This is not by choice, I promise.
Just looking for a little advice at buying a used bumper pull camper. Our minds are made up on minimum 35 ft long, minimum two slide outs, and the bunk room. Towing should not be a problem as I have quite a few trucks that are 3/4 ton, 1 ton, and 1 ton duallys. All good ol pre-emissions diesels, with manual transmissions. (Yeah, I'm the guy in a tent, usually wrenching on something on his trailer in the campground).
We are looking at going used and the years are ranging from 2012 to 2018. Trying to keep it under $20,000. Any advice or help as to whether fiberglass versus aluminum or anything along those lines would be a great help. I am extremely mechanically inclined, maintain and, fix, & rebuild all of my own equipment. (Trucks, heavy equipment, motorcycles, etc). I think I know what to look out for other than the electrical systems and these things. I understand how they work with the converter and inverter but not necessarily how to go about checking anything with them. I'm already planning on replacing any plumbing supply lines that are vinyl or plastic with braided stainless and of course doing a thorough check for leaks, signs of leaks, soft floors, slide outs that don't work properly or anything like that.
Once again, anything to look out for or to check would be a great help.
Any recommendations on what to keep spares of or what to have with you in the event of roof leaks window leaks or any of the nonsense that I could imagine that happens with these things would be greatly appreciated.

I was under the impression you can't get a fibreglass trailer with a slide. Other than that, it sounds like you know what you're doing so I don't think I have much advice to offer. We bought a used 2018 Coachmen and are really happy with it.

Are you going to be moving around a lot or do you have a place to park long term? If long term you can probably get a deal on a park model which will be heavier but probably better built and around 40’ long. Otherwise just steer clear from all the ultra-lite versions as they seem to be rather fragile.

Be very cautious or even stay away from any trailers that have Light or Lite in the name. To get them light weight, they use light materials and techniques that just don't seem to stand the test of time and use. Especially full time use.

Check out AZ Expert on his YouTube channel. He does videos of his RV inspections. While he mostly does motorhomes, the house side of RVs is basically the same. He also has some videos of trailers that went through the floor replacement process (Light weight trailers BTW) so that will give you some things to look at during your inspections.

Be very cautious or even stay away from any trailers that have Light or Lite in the name. To get them light weight, they use light materials and techniques that just don't seem to stand the test of time and use. Especially full time use.

Check out AZ Expert on his YouTube channel. He does videos of his RV inspections. While he mostly does motorhomes, the house side of RVs is basically the same. He also has some videos of trailers that went through the floor replacement process (Light weight trailers BTW) so that will give you some things to look at during your inspections.
Fortunately the one I have my eyes set on doesn't say light. It's a
2018 Dutchmen Travel Trailer RV
AEROLITE LUXURY 319BHSS

I don't care about the weight. I usually have 14k - 17k lbs behind my truck for work.
What is the weight difference in the regular vs light?
Any manufacturers I should stay away from? Definitely not doing any of the COVID nonsense years.

Are you going to be moving around a lot or do you have a place to park long term? If long term you can probably get a deal on a park model which will be heavier but probably better built and around 40’ long. Otherwise just steer clear from all the ultra-lite versions as they seem to be rather fragile.
I don't plan on moving it a lot, especially long distances. Will hopefully be parked on our land once I start construction. We will be living in it then too.
@jaydee325
I'm a idiot. Right there in the model "AEROLITE". Ugh!

AEROLITE LUXURY 319BHSS

I don't care about the weight. I usually have 14k - 17k lbs behind my truck for work.
Any manufacturers I should stay away from? Definitely not doing any of the COVID nonsense years.
I'm not sure where you will be wintering but insulation will help you stay comfortable. I googled "well insulated" trailers for you: And just an FYI, "well insulated" will help you keep cooler during the summer heat as well.
RVs with the best insulation
  1. Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3008V. ...
  2. Northwood Arctic Fox. ...
  3. Jayco Redhawk 26XD. ...
  4. Lance 2285 Trailer.
"Lite" trailers tend to be poorly insulated. Holding tanks are generally externally mounted thus almost impossible to keep from freezing. They will have single pane windows and less storage space than "regular" trailers. You mention that weight is not an issue for you but that extra weight of a regular built unit will be a plus for you full timing.

Darrell

I'm not sure where you will be wintering but insulation will help you stay comfortable. I googled "well insulated" trailers for you: And just an FYI, "well insulated" will help you keep cooler during the summer heat as well.
RVs with the best insulation
  1. Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3008V. ...
  2. Northwood Arctic Fox. ...
  3. Jayco Redhawk 26XD. ...
  4. Lance 2285 Trailer.
"Lite" trailers tend to be poorly insulated. Holding tanks are generally externally mounted thus almost impossible to keep from freezing. They will have single pane windows and less storage space than "regular" trailers. You mention that weight is not an issue for you but that extra weight of a regular built unit will be a plus for you full timing.

Darrell
Here are the specs on it. Seems to be heated|insulated underneath? It's also heavier than all other comparable sizes, even ones without the "light" designation. Payload is probably less than a Toyota Prius though. Cheaped out on axles?

AEROLITE LUXURY 319BHSS

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• brand_brochure_201704270204534010593458.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Here are the specs on it. Seems to be heated|insulated underneath? It's also heavier than all other comparable sizes, even ones without the "light" designation. Payload is probably less than a Toyota Prius though. Cheaped out on axles?

AEROLITE LUXURY 319BHSS

Let me know what you think.
I had a read and the "Luxury" model sure looks good. My only concern it the sewer dump plumbing is exposed. If it freezes you won't be able to dump and if it freezes hard enough, it will crack your plumbing. Again, I don't know how cold you expect your winters to be but you could remedy that problem adding a heat source (120 V self regulating heat tape) and extra insulation around it INCLUDING THE END CAP. I noticed that the frame was made of aluminum too. Ford seems to be doing alight with their fully aluminum pick ups. I feel confident that the same manufacturing process should work for an RV as well.

We wintered in Canada during COVID. All of my plumbing is contained in the wet bay but the flexible sewer hose of course was not. I wrapped it with heat tape and covered it with aluminum foil backed insulation. I plugged it in before I dumped and left it on for about 10 minutes after the dump and never had a problem.

Good luck!

Darrell

If you are happy with the unit and can make it work, that's all that really matters right?

AEROLITE LUXURY 319BHSS

But the name is Aero LITE....?

Latest resources

Back