Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anyone converted Freelander Micro 20CB to lithium ?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

egemme

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Freelander
RV Model
20CB
RV Length
23.75 feet
Chassis
Ford Transit 350HD
Engine
3.7 liter V6
Fulltimer
No
Hi,

I'm planning to convert my 20CB 2019 to lithium. The house batteries were Flooded Lead Acid and realized I ruined them while I ran them with a low fluid level for too long. I had two Lead Acid 75Ah (total 150Ah). At 50%, this gave me 75Ah. I wished to upgrade to a real 100Ah or 200Ah LiFePO4 and while the battery is not that much pricier compared to the real power yield you get and the peace of mind that comes with them, upgrading the RV charger, the wires, chassis battery isolator seems to become overwhelmingly expensive. I know the ultimate conversion is going solar but I would first tackle the lithium conversion without runing them nor the chassis alternator.

I have medium electricity skills and figured out that I could do it myself but I'm missing some crucial information about how the 20CB is wired without having to open everything. I like to be prepared to any project.

* Based on the fusebox location underneath the wardrobe and drawers, I assume the AC/DC Converter/Charger is just above. Is this correct ?
* Anyone knows if it is lithium ready on 2019 model ? I know some Converters Chargers have jumpers option to choose the appropriate staging program and voltage to handle a lithium battery but considering Coachmen are low end, and my model is 2019, I doubt it is.
* If not: Anyone knows what AC/DC converter brand was installed in 2019 ? I wish to search for the appropriate form factor to fit it back at the same place
* Since my current setup was made for 75Ah with 150Ah bursts, I assume the wire gauge won't support à 200Ah. At my opinion, they look tiny.
* If wires need to be upgraded as well, anyone have seen where they run from the battery housing to the converter and the chassis ? Are they easlily reachable or need to redo the run under the floor and drill thru the floor ? This would be a show stopper for me because I wish to maintaing floor integrity against leakage (my fear).
* And how about the battery isolator ? Where is it located ? I didn't see any in the battery housing and I think it should be as close as possible to them. Is it under the cook top where the panel is ?

If you have only partly answers my load of questions, feel free to answer few, I will gather any part to move forward.

Best,
Eric

Hi,
I got the answer for the converter part. The power box in my RV is a WFCO WF-8955 PEC which doesn't support Lithium as it is a classic 3 stages charger. A replacement with WF8955 AD (auto detect) or compatible PowerMax PM3 MBA 55A is required. This was the easy part.

The tougher one is to find where the DC-DC Isolator is located. It is neither where the chassis batteries are located (under the driver seat) nor the coach's (under the entry steps). I need to follow the battery hot cables under the body to find where it is located. Any help to shorten this search process would be appreciated.

Cheers

Latest resources

Back