Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Anyone rolling a Pepwave MaxTransit CAT-20 5G?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MapNerd

RVF 1K Club
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
If so, can you share your experience? What networks are you using and through which providers? Are there any that didn’t work for you? CAT-20 modems are still pretty new and mostly uncertified, so I hear that in many cases that they are complicated and the connection is unstable.

I am considering a purchase of one in hopes of of future proofing myself for a while. I’m wondering if the 5G is a miss on many plans, can I still run it as 4G and get the speed benefits of a CAT-20 modem?

I’m trying to catch up to @Neal’s speeds but I have a very long way to go.

I thought you were buying both of my CAT 18's for what I paid for them????

The BR1 Pro (CAT 20) is what I'd buy today, if you're not buying mine that is.... :)

I thought you were buying both of my CAT 18's for what I paid for them????

The BR1 Pro (CAT 20) is what I'd buy today, if you're not buying mine that is.... :)
I don’t see them in the classifieds.
Also, why sell? So you can get a CAT-20 and continue to reign as king of speeds?

I don’t see them in the classifieds.
Also, why sell?
Was kidding...always wanting newest ya know. Let us know how it works - GET IT!!

Was kidding...always wanting newest ya know. Let us know how it works - GET IT!!
Only if you promise you buy it from me if it doesn’t work

Only if you promise you buy it from me if it doesn’t work
Haha - it's gonna work, I have full faith in Pepwave. GET IT!!

MapNerd,
Please take the time to review the issues with the CAT-20 on the Peplink forum. At the present time, I don't believe it's certified for use on Verizon. Can it be made to work with all the carriers? Probably. Is it worth the hassles? Only you can decide that. Look at some of the issues EZ has had with his CAT 20 on this forum.
With regards to 5G hardware, it's my understanding, very few if any, manufacturers are using the Qualcom Snapdragon X65 Chip (released in early 2021 I believe). This is the chip which will essentially future proof your 5G hardware. I queried Peplink on when, or if, it would be integrated into their product offerings. No response received.
My research on 'data only' 5G cellular offerings leads me to believe there is more marketing hype than substance with 5G at the present time. The really high speeds are limited to select metropolitan areas. These locations are not likely to be visited by us RV folks.
The Mobile Internet Resource Center has a good write up regarding 5G technology. My research, through other sources, seems to support what he wrote.
IMHO......5G is not yet ready for prime time for us RV folks with cellular modem/routers. Other may disagree, but please read the information available & then make your decision.
One other rumor, I have not been able to validate it yet. Supposedly, Verizon & AT&T are delaying the rollout of 5G technology as it interferes with some of the FAA bands. If I were considering the purchase of a 5G cellular modem/router, I would certainly try & determine if this rumor has any validity.
Please understand, I'm not trying to rain on any one's parade. I'm just sharing information that is readily available (not with standing the rumor) with a little research.
Good luck & I hope whatever you buy will meet your expectations.

Curious, why do you recommend the BR1 Pro 5G over the Max Transit 5G? The former can be had for $950 while the latter is $1,400. The specs seem identical but I might be missing something.

The BR1 Pro has WiFi 6 but that’s not worth $500

Okay also the router throughput on the BR1 Pro is 1 GBPS over the Max Transit CAT20’s 400MBPS. That’s a lot more, though I highly doubt I will ever be able to push or pull that much in reality

WiFi 6 is so much better. And yes the other specs. I would buy it if I was in the market for one. No doubt about it.

Latest resources

Back