Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Anyone using 10 meter Ham Radio in RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I only have a tech license. The 11m is interesting to add the cb, and still have a capable 2m/70cm.

Does this radio have multiple antenna inputs for various frequency?
Not sure I understand your question. But this thread is covering a couple of topics. Sorry for any confusion.
The President radios are typically CB only, 11 meter, and a line 10m/12m radios. President Ronald, Richard (10m only), Lincoln II Plus designed and FCC licensed to cover 10 and 12 meter.
There is a simple mod (aka Export Mod), that appears popular for the 10m/12m radios, inserting a 1k resistor, that allows the radio access to CB frequencies, 11 meter. However broadcasting CB with the 10m/12m radios with the Export Mod is illegal in US, these 10m/12m radios are not FCC licensed to transmit on 11m frequencies.
To use 2M and 70cm frequencies, you would need a radio designed and licensed to broadcast on those frequencies. There are many radio options licensed for 2M and 70cm bands. You can find many radios at Gigaparts, HRO, DX Engineering, etc.

Last edited:
I was referring to the rig @Jim described with cb and 2m/70cm.

I think @Jim was referring to the Icom IC 706 MKIIG. While that radio can be modified to transmit in the CB frequencies (aka "11 Meters") it does not come that way from the factory. And, it is not certified for use on the CB/11 Meter bands, so it is not legal to modify it to do so. I'm sure it is being done, but you risk losing your Ham license if you ever get caught.

The IC 706 MKIIG has two antenna outputs; one for 2M/70CM and one for 6M + HF.
TJ

Last edited:
Yes, @TJ&LadyDi is correct, the ICOM IC-706 MKIIG does not by default operate on CB (11 meters.) But given the proximity of 11 meters to the 10 meter band, modifying the radio to work there is fairly simple and commonly done. And in a technical sense, that makes it illegal. Probably because of the radios ability to transmit at a power level that exceeds the FCC's 4 watt limit assigned to CB usage.

In my opinion, conducting yourself in an adult fashion and being respectful of others in the use of your equipment, is far more important than operating a radio that transmits a few watts more than allowed by the FCC. Fortunately, the ICOM IC-706 comes with a power output knob. So if operating the radio at a power level that is effectively little more than using a higher gain antenna, then simply turn the power knob to the left until you achieve the desired power level.

My choice of radios is not based on a desire to exceed maximum power limits on CB frequencies, although not doing so will put you in the minority. But is a matter of finding the “perfect” radio to use while traveling and when parked at the RV park. For knowledge of the road ahead, I like access to 11 meters. But when at the park, I prefer to play with 2 meters and some of the high frequencies. Having access to all the desired bands, in a radio that is the size of a common CB radio, is the “perfect” solution for me.

YMMV

Just to clarify, it’s not illegal to modify the radio, just illegal to transmit on the modified band.

@JoeHogan, I'm afraid the Stryker may have too much wind load for the Firestick mount. The antenna mounting issue is what has kept me from moving forward with putting a radio in our coach.

I'm thinking of having a local fabricator build me a mount that can bolt to something secure (frame rail. etc.) and snake its way to the outside of the coach. Then, I would use something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H3ZJ76/?tag=rvf01-20

I just need to get up the ambition to do it.

TJ

@JoeHogan, I'm afraid the Stryker may have too much wind load for the Firestick mount. The antenna mounting issue is what has kept me from moving forward with putting a radio in our coach.

I'm thinking of having a local fabricator build me a mount that can bolt to something secure (frame rail. etc.) and snake its way to the outside of the coach. Then, I would use something like this.

Amazon.com: Hustler / New-Tronics Antenna Corp. Stainless Steel CB Antenna Ball Mount SSM-2: Electronics

I just need to get up the ambition to do it.

TJ
So the ball mount would attach to the bottom of the coach and then the antenna would then be a few inches from the side of the coach?

So the ball mount would attach to the bottom of the coach and then the antenna would then be a few inches from the side of the coach?
The ball mount can attach to any flat surface, vertical or horizontal. And, the ball itself can be positioned so that it also adjusts horizontally or vertically.

Years ago, I used one of those ball mounts on a travel trailer, mounting it on the exterior sidewall and bringing the coax in through the wall to a SO239 female coax connector mounted on the interior wall. With a 60" mast and 60' of wire connected to the top of the mast, it was a stellar performer on all bands. No tuner was required on 6M and 80M; an internal tuner in the radio (Kenwood TS-690SAT at the time) matched up the other bands.

I'm just not ready to bore several holes in the side of our coach (or, to face the wrath of LadyDi for doing so) to mount the ball directly on the coach wall. It takes three 1/4" bolt holes and a 1.25" (IIRC) hole in the center of the bolt pattern. That's why I'm thinking about having some sort of solid bracket made to bolt to the frame and snake outside so I can attach the ball mount to it. That would also make it easily removable when it comes to time to trade in or sell the coach.

TJ

Last edited:
TJ,

I have considered the same ball mount as you. I am equally at a loss as to where is a secure mounting position. The front cap is convenient but flimsy. Newmar has already secured the front cap joinery at last years visit. Also, I probably do not want to listen to the wind noise of an antenna near the front windows.

Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back