Mountain Aire 4519
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins 500
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The bad news: We left our Neiderwald TX home of the past two months for our post-cataract adventure, including a stay at Jim's Deer Springs RV Park. Made it about 40 miles when the Check Engine light and alarm got my full attention. Ultimately, we were to learn that it was the three faults required for a formal DEF head failure diagnosis, 3364, 3031 and 1761.
The good news: I pulled into the first driveway that looked like it had room for our rig. It turned out to be Holt Equipment Co., the only authorized Spartan repair facility in central Texas, north of south Austin.
More bad news: Spartan says they are expecting a shipment of DEF heads, but they haven't arrived yet. My name is only 40 spots down on their list of folks needing a new unit.
As I used to say when I was officially a pirate: AAAARRRRRGGGGGGG!

Sorry to hear that. Boy am I glad we have an old rig. Def head problems are affecting anything new it seems - RVs, heavy duty equipment like bull dozers, OTR trucks, etc.

The bad news: We left our Neiderwald TX home of the past two months for our post-cataract adventure, including a stay at Jim's Deer Springs RV Park. Made it about 40 miles when the Check Engine light and alarm got my full attention. Ultimately, we were to learn that it was the three faults required for a formal DEF head failure diagnosis, 3364, 3031 and 1761.
The good news: I pulled into the first driveway that looked like it had room for our rig. It turned out to be Holt Equipment Co., the only authorized Spartan repair facility in central Texas, north of south Austin.
More bad news: Spartan says they are expecting a shipment of DEF heads, but they haven't arrived yet. My name is only 40 spots down on their list of folks needing a new unit.
As I used to say when I was officially a pirate: AAAARRRRRGGGGGGG!
@GlampDaddy ... sorry to hear this. Assume you will not make it to site #5 at Deer Springs? You may remember that we were arriving to site #5 the day you were leaving. Maybe Spartan has 41 DEF heads on order. :)

FLSteve

Maybe Spartan has 41 DEF heads on order
Steve, today brought another bit of good news. Spartan called this morning to let me know they are overnighting my sensor. I’ll be two days late to Deer Springs, but vacating just before you arrive. If I’m slow about leaving, we may meet.

RV Travel Newsletter has extensive article series on this issue. There is a way for cummins to curtail the DEF head issue with software tweak. Then it can be re tweaked once parts arrive. This also demonstrates "WHY THE SUPPLY CHAIN=PARTS CHAIN" needs to brought back to the USA/Canada/Mexico. It's stupid for manfacturers to keep hosing customer because they cannot get parts, because they moved the manfacturing of those parts to china to save bucks. Pony up to the plate boys, aint buying china anything. We check every lable/box/carton, "made in china" it goes back on shelf, regardless of what it is. Most of the gloves I use in the yard are made in China, but searching can find other places. If everyone does this we can bankrupt them, as USA is biggest customer.

The chip shortage is not the problem, let's not lose sight of the real problem. If the chip didn't require replacement you wouldn't have this issue.

Chips, like toilette paper, shows the weakness in the JIT thinking. Many mfg are learning the hard way. Good opportunities in warehouses lately. Inventory is back in vogue

Neal et-al, if I understand this, is some parts of the DEF head made overseas someplace (china assumed-could be Taiwan), regardless, CA locked down thinking stop spread of COVID. That did not work, lockdowns do not work, believe Sweeden proved that. Then economy and supply chain tanked. Government stepped in, tried to fix problem, paid lots of people to sit on backside, why work, make more on butt. That is just now possibly getting fixed, then they passed big child credit, cash payments, again, why work, just pop out babies, get 600. head monthly, cash. The only way to fix is to stop all payments for sitting on butt. Then make folks take any reasonable job offer, yeah life is tough, has been my whole 69 years.

I have new shed in yard, door broken when installed, that was in June, still waiting for door to be repaired. Thinking about lawyer and trying to get my money back. But lawyers only ones who win in that situation. Toilet paper shortage again raising ugly head, with underlying other things. Have you checked the price of meat lately? The point, the whole complete supply chain, from point of production to end delivery is screwed up, companies finally realizing that, but again compromised by, debt load and cash flow issues. When washout occurs, going to be lots fewer RV supplies, manfacturers, and glut of half broken units which no one can get parts for to fix. I keep waiting for that, but the Federal Reserve, and government keeps propping it all up. The fiddler always gets paid, either easy or hard. Off soap box. I hope all get this squared away soon, but, think it's going to be mid 2022 or later before ripples smooth out. But I am a pessimist by nature.

Forgot to mention the dryer broke, we live in small town, no repair folks, ordered belt from manfacturer, part in stock should have by 9th. I am going to fix it myself, as changing a belt might not be rocket science. Was talking to the BH this am, we are thinking we are getting too old to take care of all this stuff, because I hurt shoulder/hand this past year, (building a retaining wall out of bricks-go figure) and it's marginally better with almost two months physical therapy. I think old age is conspiring against me, and the weather aint helping either. Realize this is wayyy off topic, but, getting parts, and people to remedy the DEF head (read anything) is getting harder and harder. Thank the heavens I don't have to take RV anyplace to have work done, mostly can do myself. Cummins for Oil Change, no place to do it where we live, storage place does not want me doing it there. Easier to have them do it. But all get my point I think.

Latest resources

Back