• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Battery(s) issues

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hello all, we are new to Newmar and to this forum. We purchased a 2021 Canyon Star earlier this year and up until now have had no problems. Recently we have not had our motor home in a storage location where we could keep it plugged in and have gone over weekly or bi-weekly to run the motor and generator, in hopes of keeping them charged. Last week I had to jump start the coach to get it started, prior to moving it. After starting it, I drove it for probably 45 minutes before parking it. I went over last evening to drive it home, prior to a short trip we are taking, and had to jump it again. It would not jump start, only trying to turnover momentarily. The warning lights around the speedometer panel display also went out. I then checked water level on the batteries, topping them off, and put a charger on the batteries over night. This morning the charger showed the batteries charged, but still it would not start. I hear the starter clicking, but no engagement. The warning lights on the speedometer panel still do not come on. My panel above the entrance door only shows 8v on chassis batteries, even though charger shows the batteries are charged. I called AAA to have them try to start it and same problem. In doing some reading in our manuals, there appears to be a fuse that controls the batteries, that could be blown? It seems apparent to me that something is going on that will not let the batteries charge, as they are only showing 8v at the panel, after being on a charger for 14 hours. But why would I now not be able to jump start it? I know enough to get myself in trouble, which appears I have done on this.

This sounds like almost exactly what I just went through yesterday with my Ford Edge: sudden battery failure, wouldn’t start with cables, killed the dash lights, etc. Same voltage too; around 8v. I determined it was a an internal short.

Here’s the simple test: Disconnect the start battery (one at a time if you have two) and try to jump it then. Mine would not jump start with the battery in it because of the internal short, but with no battery, and the jumper cables just attached to the loose battery cables in the car, it started with immediately. So my diagnosis was easy. I’m assuming you have two start batteries so just disconnect one at a time and try to jump it.

You could have a different situation but this is something to check and an easy rule-out. I got six years (but only 28,000 miles) out of mine, but a battery does not have to be old to fail.

Thank you, I will try that. We have six batteries though, so I will need to do some reading to determine the order of disconnecting one at a time.

This does not involve or apply to your 6 house batteries. Just use the above info to trouble shoot your two engine start batteries, assuming its a diesel, which it should be if 2021, and has two. If its gas it will only have one. You dont need to do anything with your 6 house batteries other than maintain them, but they wont affect engine starting.

Also if you’ve been trying to jump it by connecting to your house batteries that would explain why jumping it has had no affect. Regarding your house batteries, you might have an “emergency start” switch on the dash which uses battery power from your house batteries to charge up your engine start batteries. Its usually a momentary switch so you’d have to hold it down for 5-10 minutes, but if all that is the case, it could get you started. Instructions for it should be in either the Freightliner chassis manual or the Newmar coach manual.

The pic is my emergency start switch marked “Batt Boost”. If you suspect a shorted engine start battery you wouldn’t want to use this but from your other comments I now doubt that is the problem.
32A59242-1888-4676-9FD4-AF877C72B37B.jpeg

Old, failed batteries that indicate fully charged often are not. An old or failed battery will often show fully charged by way of a voltage measurement but then can't deliver enough amps to spin an engine starter.

Rick

Thanks Rich for your reply. My first reply to you was me writing quicker than thinking. Yes, we do have two chassis batteries. I am guessing that, due to their location in our coach, I was not getting solid connection with my attempt to jump yesterday, or even my use of the charger last night. I was able to get a successful jump later this afternoon and am going contact Newmar to see if there is any easier access to the chassis batteries. Thanks again!

Old, failed batteries that indicate fully charged often are not. An old or failed battery will often show fully charged by way of a voltage measurement but then can't deliver enough amps to spin an engine starter.

Rick
Thanks Rick. As I replied to Rich, I think was an "owner" issue and me not taking the time to make sure i had good connection.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back