Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Planning our trip north to Nappanee, leaving Monday.
Our first stop is Creekfire Campground. Talking with the front desk there, they readily admit there is a theft problem in the county and at the campground.
With the theft issues clearly present at Creekfire Campground in GA, and the night running street gun battles in Pueblo CO earlier this year, we have become very wary of travel outside of Florida.
Truckers suffering armed shakedowns at Truckstops, etc. We have real concerns with travel in and around interstates.

Granted we take as many precautions as are reasonable, lock everything, don't leave valuables unattended, etc. But the thought of armed thugs roaming Truck Stops, and potentially campgrounds has me on edge. The last thing we want is to have to rely on law enforcement to resolve an issue, report an issue, or explain my take events after a more serious issue has taken place.

Thoughts??

You can't be a prisoner of wherever. Just pick your CG's wisely and if necessary take longer days to get to better land. Leave earlier and do a 6-8 hour day with good breaks, etc.

I echo what Neal said. I don’t trust reviews at all. I have never heard of truckers getting a shakedown and maybe that’s happening on the east coast. Common sense prevails and yes there are sketchy characters sometimes at truck stops I fuel at. I would not fuel late at night unless it’s a stop I know well and I certainly don’t hang around. I get my fuel and leave. You might consider a byrna if that makes you feel safer. Nothing should deter you from enjoying the lifestyle.

IMO, having more information at our fingertips can create an information overload, leading to too many “what if” scenarios.
The old phrase, “ignorance is bliss”, is one that I like as I can over analyze and cause my own anxiety over a potential corner case. We plan and research our stops but if an area feels sketchy when we get there, we just move on.
In our 4 years traveling the country, using rest stops and truck stops heavily while in transit from one area to another, we have only moved on a couple times. Never had any issue with safety.
We have an alarm system on the trailer and on the coach but despite plans to use them, we have never used the coach alarm system. Only used the trailer alarm twice, and haven’t bothered since. 🤨
And it’s not like we drive something that blends in, we tend to get more attention than we like.
Reaching a point in life where I don’t want to cause myself more stress and worry. Want to have peace and enjoy life. As long as the RV fits into that mentality, we will continue to use it. Once it stops fitting into that mentality, it will go.
As the ole’ song from the late 80’s said, “don’t worry - be happy”!

I have never heard of truckers getting a shakedown and maybe that’s happening on the east coast.
It’s happening in CO and Texas. In CO Venezuelan gang members were requiring payment of $50 for truckers to stay night in truck stops or their tires were slashed. Reports on a trucker site indicate an activist group are slashing tires in Texas. I’ll attach post.

@Joe Hogan I travel all over the place and you too can do so safely. Like Neal said, it’s a matter of picking your CGs wisely.

It is unfortunate about the Newmar rally in CO. It has become a real mess in certain areas. Personally, I would not stay at Creekfire. It is not located in a good area and quite frankly, it never was a nice park in the first place IMO.

Wishing you Safe and Happy Travels to the mothership.

1728064006358.jpeg

Be alert, not paranoid.

You’re likely safer in Pueblo than in much of Florida.

Pueblo CO Crime Overview​

According to various sources, Pueblo, CO has a higher-than-average crime rate compared to national averages. Here are some key statistics:
  • Total crime rate: 8,010 per 100,000 residents, which is 244.65% higher than the national average (2,324 per 100,000).
  • Violent crime rate: 1,621 per 100,000 residents, which is 338.5% higher than the national average (370 per 100,000).
  • Property crime rate: 6,390 per 100,000 residents, which is 228.5% higher than the national average (1,954 per 100,000).
Some specific crime rates in Pueblo, CO:
  • Murder: 25.8 per 100,000 residents (compared to 6.4 per 100,000 in Colorado and 6.3 per 100,000 nationally).
  • Rape: 162.5 per 100,000 residents (compared to 63.4 per 100,000 in Colorado and 40.0 per 100,000 nationally).
  • Robbery: 321.4 per 100,000 residents (compared to 72.6 per 100,000 in Colorado and 66.1 per 100,000 nationally).
  • Assault: 1,110.8 per 100,000 residents (compared to 350.1 per 100,000 in Colorado and 268.2 per 100,000 nationally).

Check out Albuquerque - should you not go to the Balloon Fiesta? It's terrible there, but in the wrong places as with most states/cities.

Check out Albuquerque - should you not go to the Balloon Fiesta? It's terrible there, but in the wrong places as with most states/cities.
I believe this to be true. I would guess the crime rate in a 5 mile radius of the Pueblo fairgrounds is much higher than other areas of Pueblo. The TA situation that Ard alludes to has been a high crime rate area for the past 50 years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back