• Commercial/Vendors welcome

bedroom slide problem

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It could also just be the controller - either a bad one or it needs adjustment, or something could be binding it causing a high amperage draw which will cause the controller to think its all the way out and stop.

It is dis heartening to hear of these slide problems on such new coaches. We spend 1/2 million bucks for a quality rig in most part to avoid these issues! I hate having to hold my breath and cross my fingers and toes every time I go to deploy or retract my slides. I hope your issue is just low ambient temperature operation.
Cheers

all level, engine running, pulled the big slides in and tried the bedroom, no luck
fyi
1- for year model newmar you should be able to operate the slides with the engine running. In fact, that is the recommendation. some of the earlier models, engine has to be off to operate slides (2016, elec slide for 2017s, etc). engine ON provides sufficient power as to avoid mishapps.

2- for Newmar slides you do want to be in full airbag travel mode and not level!. Unlike most other manufacturers. So leave the air bag full, to open and close all slides.

3- Your bedroom slide is an electric motor slide, besides potential mechanical issues, the slide limits may need to be reset on the slide circuit board. Those could potentially be erased if there may be power issues or lack there of. Best to call Newmar and ask them to send the instruction to set limits for your bedroom slide. The circuit boards may vary from year and model units, so best to ask Newmar to email them to you. It is faily easy to reset the limits for proper operations.

Had a similar problem with our 2020 Mountain Aire in July - Could not bring bed slide in after several days parked. Did some investigation with the help of the campground mechanic (RV Resort in Heber City, Utah | Mountain Valley RV Resort - really nice place and really nice people :) - on our unit there are 2 KIB electric slide controllers in the half bay shared with the Oasis, passenger side - they are identical and control the motors for the front large 'kitchen' slide and the smaller 'bed' slide. The readout in operation (or when unplugged/replugged from power) will indicate the current being drawn and the max. current the controller is programmed for. Have someone active the slide while you watch the displays and you will quickly see if it is an overload. In my case I was able to just move (all) the cables over from the front slide to the rear slide and use the other controller to get back on the road. Problem did not happen again for about 3 weeks. Repeated the process, and it has not happened since in about 25 deployments as we took the coach on 3 more trips that totaled about 11,500 miles since then (LA to Yellowstone RT then LA to Washington DC RT) I carry a spare now - as putting the spare in service would take about the same time as plugging between the 2 units that are mounted, I figure I will swap it out when it really is an issue...

@SteveMA, are you saying that your controller for the slide that first malfunctioned works but intermittently fails? Wondering if simply unplugging it, powering it down then reconnecting and powering back up will do the trick. I’m thinking about the various items I would like to carry with me in the coach. In boating we kept a box full of all sorts of spare components to ensure we can make it home or to safe harbor. There are only a few items in a coach that would leave one stranded and the inability to retract a slide is a big one!

Initially I tried just unplugging and replugging. That did not work. Did some digging online for the KiB node and once I understood the readout I felt confident enough to swap them around and watch the readout for an over current indication which in may case did not happen. For the next several days I had to occasionally swap the 2 KiB nodes but one day discovered both slides worked. I suspect something was stuck in the bed drive cogs... it has now been many deployments and it seems to be fine. Mystery.

Disclaimer - I have a background in electrical engineering and a few other disciplines ... I tend to eventually work out things out. (or so I think)

Initially I tried just unplugging and replugging. That did not work. Did some digging online for the KiB node and once I understood the readout I felt confident enough to swap them around and watch the readout for an over current indication which in may case did not happen. For the next several days I had to occasionally swap the 2 KiB nodes but one day discovered both slides worked. I suspect something was stuck in the bed drive cogs... it has now been many deployments and it seems to be fine. Mystery.

Disclaimer - I have a background in electrical engineering and a few other disciplines ... I tend to eventually work out things out. (or so I think)
Thanks, my back ground is in aviation maintenance and I now teach the discipline to aspiring A&Ps and we cover 45 subject areas so I too tend to want to figure these maintenance issues out or at least be educated about them so as not to be taken on a ride by unscrupulous service providers. So what you are thinking is when your bedroom slide failed your higher amp programmed controller was able to overcome the extra effort to retract the slide?

Strangely enough, both KMG (not KiB my bad) units on my coach are programmed with the same max current. Still do not know an exact cause. Must admit I am prepared to 'go to the basement' and swap them each time I push out or bring in the bedroom. Also carry the solenoids for the FWS pump and fuses, the main solenoid is notorious for failure - mine failed last month after a cold day driving in a surprise Kansas snow storm (looking at DC pump current I think the solenoids are under-rated for the pump)

Thanks, I’ll add these to my spares kit for sure. I swear every time I extend any of the slides I hear a new noise! Kind of like the auto rough I always heard when flying over the mountains in a small aircraft:oops:

Now my Kitchen slide does not work, I've determined the -10f with wind chill of -35f combined with 25 mph winds have them frozen, supposed to be almost 50 by next friday, I will let them thaw, not going anywhere, I was showing the new rig to my Daughter and family when they failed.

Latest resources

Back